Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early LQ4 - 71 Nova Build - Billyfargon

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

I agree with Andrew, the Hooker/Holley kit has everything all figured out for you already, so no real reason to reinvent the wheel so to speak. I too have seen slider mounts where the engine has been put in not so square, definitely not what you want. I do understand the cost factor though, but if you're not in a hurry, I would figure out exactly what you want to do with the car. Having a good game plan will help keep costs down because you wont be making decisions on the fly that may cause you to have to go back and do things you have already done, all over again. Figure out what transmission you really want, and get it. Trying to use a transmission just because you have it is going to make your job harder because you're going to have to go back and do it over again. Now, I do understand wanting to get the engine in and drive it, but it kind of comes down to the whole "do it once and do it right" thing. You're lucky in that you can just drive the car as is with the 6 cylinder. Heck, drive it enough and when you do the swap it will just be that much more impressive to you!

As for the engine, how many miles does it have on it? The pistons just look like basic carbon build up, and if it isn't a super high mileage engine, I wouldn't mess with it since you know it runs. I would pull a valve cover and see what the inside looks like. If it's not sludged up it's probably fine. With regular maintenance these engines will run a long time.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

I have the dirty dingo mounts in my truck. The slider mounts are great i was able to put my motor exactly where the stock one was and i was able to use my trucks frame mounts and use the stock driveshaft. I have had this setup installed for 6 years with no problems.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I agree with Andrew, the Hooker/Holley kit has everything all figured out for you already, so no real reason to reinvent the wheel so to speak. I too have seen slider mounts where the engine has been put in not so square, definitely not what you want. I do understand the cost factor though, but if you're not in a hurry, I would figure out exactly what you want to do with the car. Having a good game plan will help keep costs down because you wont be making decisions on the fly that may cause you to have to go back and do things you have already done, all over again. Figure out what transmission you really want, and get it. Trying to use a transmission just because you have it is going to make your job harder because you're going to have to go back and do it over again. Now, I do understand wanting to get the engine in and drive it, but it kind of comes down to the whole "do it once and do it right" thing. You're lucky in that you can just drive the car as is with the 6 cylinder. Heck, drive it enough and when you do the swap it will just be that much more impressive to you!

As for the engine, how many miles does it have on it? The pistons just look like basic carbon build up, and if it isn't a super high mileage engine, I wouldn't mess with it since you know it runs. I would pull a valve cover and see what the inside looks like. If it's not sludged up it's probably fine. With regular maintenance these engines will run a long time.
I may just have to gather parts till I have everything to do it all at once including transmission. I use my little garage a lot and can't have this car taking up that valuable space for a couple years. My driveway is sloped to which means I need the car to stay under its own power. That was the only reason I was wanting to bolt to powerglide so I could continue to keep the car mobile for moving in and out and not necessarily out driving.

The motor has around 180k. I will get the valve covers and oil pan off and take pics so you guys can see and give your opinions after I get the thing cleaned up
Old 12-14-2017, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I cant see your pics cause of stupid photobucket but that is good news!!
I'm slowly migrating stuff to another host, but I do have the photos if you need.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

There is a transmission adapter sold within the Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen X-body system of components that enables you to carry out an LS swap using a TH350, Powerglide or 700R4 transmission. The bracket (part number 12628HKR) is designed to work with the 12625HKR 4L60-4L70 transmission crossmember. It works great, but does require a little bit of cutting/welding on the part of the user. Your driveshaft length would also have to be lengthened slightly.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:10 AM
Launching!

I didn't do any engine work because of the Holidays but I was able to squeeze in some new headlights

And some pics

Then it got really cold!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2017, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Looks like the top LED on the driver side light might have DOA'd...
Old 12-27-2017, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Not sure that I like that look on an older, stock car...but that's a matter of taste.

Andrew
Old 12-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Looks like the top LED on the driver side light might have DOA'd...
The top LED is only on when you hit the brights. The passenger looks like its on from that angle just from reflection.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Not sure that I like that look on an older, stock car...but that's a matter of taste.

Andrew
I was really hesitant with the look of these as well but my goal is modern conveniences in an old bodied car. And its only the first upgrade so it stands alone kinda awkward right now.

Who knows, I might decide they don't work with the overall look but right now I think its too early to decide.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyFargon
I was really hesitant with the look of these as well but my goal is modern conveniences in an old bodied car. And its only the first upgrade so it stands alone kinda awkward right now.

Who knows, I might decide they don't work with the overall look but right now I think its too early to decide.
If you want a more traditional look, there are halogen alternatives. When you combine that with a headlight relay upgrade, you will have great lights.

Good tech here:

https://www.danielsternlighting.com

Andrew
Old 12-27-2017, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wicked car really interested to see how your build goes, ive got a 70 with an lq4 and t56 messing with cross member issues right now

not sure what your going with but

DO NOT BUY THE BOWTIE OVERDRIVES CONVERSION CROSSMEMBER FROM CPP DOSENT FIT AND TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERIVCE
Old 12-28-2017, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

TRUCKLITES are pretrty cool LED headlit. Try a SEARCH

Last edited by Jimbo1367; 12-30-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Sorry if I confused anyone, I am not unhappy with my headlights. They are what I wanted, I am just not used to them yet with the look. But with the direction I want to go with car I think they will be good its just hard not seeing the whole picture at this time.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

If I missed it, mybad, but what did the headlight set you back?
Old 12-30-2017, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Why be afraid to mod a driveshaft? It is easier than many of the other things involved in a swap. I'd rather mod a driveshaft than put up with other compromises resulting from the engine too far forward or back from its optimum location.
Def. replace the driveshaft. Bigger,stronger.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Def. replace the driveshaft. Bigger,stronger.
Best choice. I said what I did in reference to putting the engine in a less than ideal spot to avoid changing shaft length.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
If I missed it, mybad, but what did the headlight set you back?
On a black Friday deal they were just under $400.. which is way too much for headlights. But I built custom HID headlights for my 4runner that cost more than that so the fact that I didn't have to build these and that they were part of a Christmas gift I was happy to not pay full price!

I spent a couple hours this last weekend watching tv in the garage and scrapping oil sludge off the motor. After about two hours it looks like it does now but it will need waaaay more cleaning. Oven cleaner was recommended so I may go to dollar tree and grab some cheap stuff to try. The worst has been removed now it needs some finer scrubbing. I don't have a power washer and don't want to deal with the mess of that anyway so I will just keep scrubbing in the garage.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribing for updates! I just picked up a 2000 lq4 for my 71 nova in December as well. You'll be miles ahead of me as I'm still doing a lot of metal replacement on the body.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cap42
Subscribing for updates! I just picked up a 2000 lq4 for my 71 nova in December as well. You'll be miles ahead of me as I'm still doing a lot of metal replacement on the body.
Awesome! Start a thread so I can watch

I am not sure how fast I will be since I am trying to juggle this and other vehicle projects. Mainly my 4runner and it needing a new transmission!

Quick Reply: Early LQ4 - 71 Nova Build - Billyfargon