Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Alternator too close to fuel rail?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alternator too close to fuel rail?

This may be a dumb question, but it would really bug me if i didnt ask. I bought the alternator relocation bracket from CBR Performance. Its a nice piece. Really simple and super sturdy. However, when i mount up my truck alternator, the alternator terminal is only a couple few inches away from my metal fuel rail. See pics

Is that dangerous at all? i would really hate for anything to arc over and cause a ..... problem......to say the least. Thoughts?
Old 01-26-2018, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uncertain of the increased potential for arcing versus factory alt location. The stud appears far longer than necessary. Shorten it with a cut off wheel. Use a heat shrink sleeve over your alt connection hook up. My .02
Old 01-26-2018, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by txazformula
Uncertain of the increased potential for arcing versus factory alt location. The stud appears far longer than necessary. Shorten it with a cut off wheel. Use a heat shrink sleeve over your alt connection hook up. My .02
thanks for the reply. the stock alt is down low on the drivers side, this is a 00 f body. Unless you mean the stock location for the trucks, which would put the terminal farther away from the rail i think, since it would be on the drivers side. Shortening the stud is a good suggestion.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sparks don't jump through air very far even at 35,000 volts, so having 14.5 volts 1/2" away from things is only an issue with things falling on it when not covered or when wrenching on it during service if the battery is still connected. It looks fine to me just put a boot on it.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

12v wont arc over. Just make sure they dont physically touch and youre good.

Quick Reply: Alternator too close to fuel rail?