Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1970 caddy sedan deville(sinister) lq4 s475 turbo cam=)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Are you getting rid of the spool for the wheel hop or another reason? The spool should not cause wheel hop. That's suspension related. The spool can be hairy in the rain and snow, lol.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stiffer shocks are probably the best band-aid for wheel hop with bags. I remember a lot of guys struggling with this in the s10 platform. I looked back through your 4-link shots and the only thing I didn't see was a watts link or panhard bar. I'm not sure if it would help your issue with hop though. It's tough to spot weak points from a few photos. A video of it actually happening may be more telling. The spool could definitely be a contributor though.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Apache
Are you getting rid of the spool for the wheel hop or another reason? The spool should not cause wheel hop. That's suspension related. The spool can be hairy in the rain and snow, lol.
No, the spool will find a home for two reasons I discovered.....

Makes this big bitc# go smooth sideways if you hammer it while in even a slight turn......(It bangs second, then you better have already let off)

And it really sounds like your driving a total peice of crap in freshly paved parking lots, and stripes...........

And kinda don't even wanna try in the rain at this point
Old 02-07-2018, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Stiffer shocks are probably the best band-aid for wheel hop with bags. I remember a lot of guys struggling with this in the s10 platform. I looked back through your 4-link shots and the only thing I didn't see was a watts link or panhard bar. I'm not sure if it would help your issue with hop though. It's tough to spot weak points from a few photos. A video of it actually happening may be more telling. The spool could definitely be a contributor though.
Thanks for taking the time look back,
I chose double triangulation for my bar set up so I wouldn't have any deflection to one side or the other when the car is raised or lowered, also, it eliminates the need for an additional axle locating system.
I am hopefull that inflating the bags to the ride height I had figured on when I was building it will straighten this (tire shake) problem out, also crossing fingers that it will implement some additional traction.

As, who am I kidding, I just want the ridiculous long Smokey burnouts, just without the tire shake/shudder
Old 02-07-2018, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Be careful with the wheel hop. Friends LTD LX (Fox body) wheel hopped at the drag strip and as fast as he could push in the clutch to stop it, it had bent/broken the rear shocks, trans mount and cracked the thermostat housing dumping coolant on the track. The track owner still reminds him about it, lol. Totally get you wanting to switch to a differential.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys!( And gals if there are any).....
Anyways, actually have g a great day with the car!
I've felt like it's more of responsibility to finish, and get burn out on it latley.

So the tire shake was completely pinion angle related, it's f'n fast and smooth no shake anymore
I can't believe I didn't notice in the first place the driveshaft was basicly going straight into pinion gear, no downwards angle. So, thanks to the magic of adjustable link bars, I made the uppers shorter, then went out for some test burnouts and just could not quit smiling! Success! Finally payoff for all the time, sweat, aggravation and money put in this back half project.
Not say I haven't had some fun, and more importantly learned so much from the whole car, I just wanted to some burnouts.

Looking at the first pic, it's obvious.....what an idiot.....it's pointing up almost 1 degree........facepalm......

Here's the after, I changed it 5/maybe 6 degrees total and all is better now

Old 02-09-2018, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

WOOHOO!!!
Old 02-09-2018, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When mine all the sudden started to wheelhop that's when I knew something was wrong and I got it up in the air to inspect.

Glad you got it figured out.

Leaving the spool for now since it's working better?
Old 02-09-2018, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by squarles67
When mine all the sudden started to wheelhop that's when I knew something was wrong and I got it up in the air to inspect.

Glad you got it figured out.

Leaving the spool for now since it's working better?
The spool Will get a stay of execution untill the next parking lot I go into and starts sounding like poo again.......
Old 02-10-2018, 06:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Its always amazing what a pinion angle can cure/cause, its a pretty violent action, I have bent some parts with it trying to point upward.
Glad you got it sorted out
Old 02-10-2018, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by forcd ind
Its always amazing what a pinion angle can cure/cause, its a pretty violent action, I have bent some parts with it trying to point upward.
Glad you got it sorted out
Now I can't wait to mess with ride height/ bar adjustment and get the most out of it
Old 02-18-2018, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well......lastnight.........we're not gonna talk about that right now, but it was "taco night", and the car did make it back to the house......

So I'll show the new exhaust, it went from a stamped steel flange, straight 5" dumped in front of rear tire, stupid loud.

Now, it's machined flange 5" reduced to 4" then 4" straight back to a 5"inlet areo turbine muffler, then dumped in front axle, less loud.

It actually has a nice tone to it now, I am happy with it, also has the needed ground clearance so the car can drop down lower now

Last edited by slocaddy; 02-21-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Few more pics

Old 02-18-2018, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Man...how long is that driveshaft. I would scared to death of it breaking at high speed. Have you done critical speed calculations?

Andrew
Old 02-18-2018, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Man...how long is that driveshaft. I would scared to death of it breaking at high speed. Have you done critical speed calculations?

Andrew

Dunno.....it's an untouched/ stock length drive shaft from an 05 express van.....

No calculations.........don't even know how.......
Old 02-19-2018, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Exhaust looks good, but I sure hope you're sealing up that floor really well.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Exhaust looks good, but I sure hope you're sealing up that floor really well.
Oh yes, I damn near fully welded it, plus paint And Seam sealer and weather stripping on the removable panels.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

http://www.wallaceracing.com/driveshaftspeed.php
Old 02-19-2018, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Learn something new every day. And I'm old. Guess my stuff just isn't fast enough to kill a driveshaft via critical speed.

And on the exhaust note, I have a Zephyr that I pulled the tailpipes off of and installed dumps in front of the axle. That thing damn near gags you driving around. It's worse with the windows down too. Car is sealed up well. Strangest thing. My Ranchero dumps out at the bottom rear of the front fenders and doesn't bother you at all. Go figure. Lucky for you there's a lot of real estate between you and the rear axle, lol.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by truckdoug
Thanks for the link, something I'll have to study, the drive shaft is about 6ft.........lol.........about 3 1/5 diamater.

Quick Reply: 1970 caddy sedan deville(sinister) lq4 s475 turbo cam=)