Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

1986 Porsche 951 with LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Porsche 951 with LS1 Swap

Year: 1986
Make: Porsche
Model: Boxster
Price: $15000
Mileage: 100000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): MA
Color: Red
Transmission: Manual
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive

1986 Porsche 951 with LS1 Swap (!!This is not a Boxster, but there was no option for a 944/951 in the required 'model' field!!)

In 2010 I installed a second generation LS1 V8 from a 2004 Pontiac GTO. I’ve been driving the car regularly in the summers, and have put on approximately 20k on the swap with very few issues. I’ve recently had it on a track once and it was an absolute blast, other than that I’ve used it for autocross off and on. I’ve never been a very skilled driver, but I’m sure with the right person behind the wheel it could be a monster. The car is in the neighborhood of 2800-3000 lbm, and has 340 wheel horsepower (measured), making it quite quick. I’ve also gone through the whole suspension in order to bring the rest of the car up to speed with the additional power. In total, $25k of parts alone have been put into the car, all receipts are available.

I bought the original car in 2009 with 84k on it, the engine swap and extensive suspension work has brought the car back into its performance prime. Please see the details listed below and visit the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/1986Porsche951LS1Conversion for LOTS more pictures detailed information. I have also attached PDF to this post with extra details. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to modifying a car, and whoever the buyer is I’m sure you will make the car your own, but what I can say is that this swap has been installed for long enough and has had enough miles put on it to be sure that the bugs have been worked out. My good friend and I recently drove the car from Boston to Madison WI and back with plenty of side trips along the way (~1,800 miles) and a track day in the middle, the car was fine the whole time. I’ve never driven the car in the snow, and the whole car is rust free. Clean Carfax.

No car is perfect, and in the interest of transparency I want to make the buyer aware of certain issues: The paint is not perfect, the dash is cracked (like so many other 944’s out there), there’s a tiny bit of curb rash on one wheel, I have not installed AC (the evaporator is still in the dash, so it could be installed without too much trouble), the odometer is not currently working, and like many German cars not all the interior electronics are perfectly functional. The radio, windows, wipers, lights, and mirrors all work fine though. Additionally, while I find this a major advantage, some people may find the manual steering, brakes, and clutch to be too heavy for their taste. Be warned that this is a visceral car to drive and demands serious respect when behind the wheel, but it is also extremely fun and intoxicating.

I’m asking $15,000 and would ask that only serious buyers inquire, just contact me and I’ll get back to you in the evening after work (either send a PM, a facebook message to the page mentioned above, or via craigslist at https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/1...614660617.html). I believe that is an excellent price for a car that has this much power, and has been shaken down this thoroughly. These cars are a pleasure to work on and a pleasure to drive. I will be happy to take interested parties for a ride, and if cash is in hand to act as a deposit I will allow others to test drive as well. I am primarily in Boston during the week, but travel frequently to Maine and Westchester NY for weekends, so I can meet potential buyers there as well.

Thoughtful details improving reliability and drivability over other swaps I have seen:
  • All receipts and records
  • Extra bracing on firewall to prevent brake/clutch pedal forces from fatiguing the sheet metal
  • A pedal stop on the floor to prevent bottoming out the clutch MC
  • Straight intake, with no 90 deg bends and a cold air source
  • A quality limited slip differential capable of 100% lock
  • Adequately wide tires, 315’s in rear, 275’s in front.
  • All bushings have been addressed, and the transmission mount has been reinforced
  • Reinforcement plate in transmission case, a taller 5th gear for highway driving which lets this car get into the 30’s for mileage.
  • The shifter linkage has been gone through to reduce slop wherever possible, with custom machined bronze bushings in places and a custom turned shifter
  • Bump steer corrected geometry in front end using Elephant Racing’s kit
  • Braided brake lines and AN fittings, a manual bias valve, and chafe protection where needed
  • Dual rate springs to maintain better ride comfort
  • Flex couplings in exhaust to prevent excessive strain
  • Extra stout CV axle bolts
  • Sturdier 19mm front ball joints
  • Rear coilover conversion
  • Manual steering rack for excellent steering feel
  • Engine oil cooler
  • A sensible owner that didn’t beat the heck out of the car
  • It’s never been to the drag strip

A list of what doesn’t work:
  • Fog lights do not exist, although wiring and switches are intact
  • Sunroof mechanism was removed
  • The clock is broken, I’ve bought a replacement and plan to try and put it in before sale
  • Back seats are gone
  • There is a normal amount of brittle plastic bits that I’ve been replacing as they break, what you would expect from a mid 80’s car.
  • Paint has some chips, scratches, and is a bit faded on the fiberglass sunroof, but nowhere else
  • Looks like the pan under the battery was repaired once, I haven’t noticed any problems with it since, but that’s a common issue with 944’s.
  • Oil cooler on transmission has some dings from a mistake I made mounting it once, but it’s fully functional
  • Cracked dash
  • AC is not fully functional (I live in Maine/Mass so I have never really had the incentive to finish this project)
  • Central locks never worked, but again, the hardware and wiring is still in the car, just haven’t figured out the gremlin yet
  • Odometer has been repaired once, but currently doesn’t work, so you have to take my word on mileage. Assuming the PO didn’t have similar issues I bought the car with 84k on the clock, I’ve put about another 20k on it, mostly after the conversion. The Pontaic GTO with the donor engine had 81k on it.

Attached Files
Old 06-24-2018, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

The car is SOLD. Thank you all for being such great support during the build 8 years ago! I plan to keep the Facebook page I made for the car active so that other swappers can look. There's a complete ledger with all the parts listed: https://www.facebook.com/1986Porsche951LS1Conversion/

Best,

Luke

Quick Reply: 1986 Porsche 951 with LS1 Swap