Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350 shifting problem. What parts are involved in 1-2 shift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013 | 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Default TH350 shifting problem. What parts are involved in 1-2 shift?

Alright so heres the backstory,

About a week and a half ago, the car did something really weird where I felt it shift into second (it shifts pretty hard) but it free revved. Then i shifted into 3rd no issue. Next time shifting into 2nd it was fine.

Well then it just kept doing that, not wanting to engage second. Eventually I wouldnt even feel the shift... going from 1-2 was just nothing. Heres the weird part, if I downshift into 2nd, then I have 2nd gear just fine. It just wont allow me to upshift into 2nd. Eventually being in 3rd gear, I could hear some sort of combo of scraping/whining noises.

Well I pulled out the trans Sunday and finally got around to taking it apart today. Bear with me, I've never taken apart a transmission before. But as far as I can tell, theres nothing wrong? There was metal shavings and a few little chunks of metal in the pan making me think i'd find something definitive. Unfortunately, everything visually looks fine. Clutches/steels look like they are in good shape, planetary gears, sunshell, all seem like in good shape.

What parts are involved in the 1-2 upshift?

The trans is a TH350 that I had purchased from Redneck Performance 4 years ago. Was the beefy Th350 build, reverse manual valvebody, upgraded sprag, shifts really hard and up until last week had been doing just fine.

I have pictures of the pieces from the trans if posting them helps
Old 04-02-2013 | 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

It does also have a transbrake and I've used that a fair amount of times as well.
Old 04-03-2013 | 08:13 PM
Teching In

im having.similar issues but.mine free wheels for a bout a second then slams second gear. ive yet to figure out the problem
Old 09-24-2024 | 01:21 PM

Default Any update mines doing the same thing?

Originally Posted by Thunder v2.0
Alright so heres the backstory,

About a week and a half ago, the car did something really weird where I felt it shift into second (it shifts pretty hard) but it free revved. Then i shifted into 3rd no issue. Next time shifting into 2nd it was fine.

Well then it just kept doing that, not wanting to engage second. Eventually I wouldnt even feel the shift... going from 1-2 was just nothing. Heres the weird part, if I downshift into 2nd, then I have 2nd gear just fine. It just wont allow me to upshift into 2nd. Eventually being in 3rd gear, I could hear some sort of combo of scraping/whining noises.

Well I pulled out the trans Sunday and finally got around to taking it apart today. Bear with me, I've never taken apart a transmission before. But as far as I can tell, theres nothing wrong? There was metal shavings and a few little chunks of metal in the pan making me think i'd find something definitive. Unfortunately, everything visually looks fine. Clutches/steels look like they are in good shape, planetary gears, sunshell, all seem like in good shape.

What parts are involved in the 1-2 upshift?

The trans is a TH350 that I had purchased from Redneck Performance 4 years ago. Was the beefy Th350 build, reverse manual valvebody, upgraded sprag, shifts really hard and up until last week had been doing just fine.

I have pictures of the pieces from the trans if posting them helps

what did you figure out?
Old 09-24-2024 | 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

SADLY many who posted these are no longer arround and never posted the solution if any. Many do not, You would fair best in this IMO to make your own new post with your issue .

Quick Reply: TH350 shifting problem. What parts are involved in 1-2 shift?