General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

i think this is my noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i think this is my noise

may be hard to tell but its wobbling. dont know if thats normal or not

the sound doesnt really come from the engine, its quiet from the top but get under it its much louder.

from inside, when i put in reverse i cant hear the noise anymore. would that point to anything to check?

any way to know for sure if thats it before replacing?

any other possibilities?

Last edited by Cruzer23; 06-02-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

ehhh mine wobbles slightly and it makes zero noise..

have you checked all your drive pullies yet to make sure???
Old 06-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mine wobbles a bit too. What was the noise? Either I'm deaf or my car makes the same sound, because it sounded normal-ish to me... haha.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Launching!

whatever the noise is it wasnt there before. maybe its nothing serious but knowing my luck its a spun bearing.

today i took off the serpentine belt and ac belt, and ran it. it still made the noise. i went ahead and greased all the bearings in the pullies and tensioners.

so what possibilities am i looking at here? anything besides a spun bearing? any way to confirm or rule that out?

it doesnt sound like the videos online of a spun bearing, but maybe ive just caught it early and its not as bad as the videos?
Old 06-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you still have good oil pressure and no metal in the oil you likely have no bearing issues. It sounds lifter'ish. Lifters are common to have collapse on these and fortunately not terribly expensive. They are a little labor intensive though. Give us a call if we can help you further diagnose it or get any parts for you.
Thank you,
Kyle
972-853-2450
Thompson Motorsports

BTW, The balancer will not make the noise unless it is hitting something, I don't see it hitting anything so I would look elsewhere.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Old 05-19-2024, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by thompson
If you still have good oil pressure and no metal in the oil you likely have no bearing issues. It sounds lifter'ish. Lifters are common to have collapse on these and fortunately not terribly expensive. They are a little labor intensive though. Give us a call if we can help you further diagnose it or get any parts for you.
Thank you,
Kyle
972-853-2450
Thompson Motorsports

BTW, The balancer will not make the noise unless it is hitting something, I don't see it hitting anything so I would look elsewhere.
I didn't get the chance to watch the video and or to hear the noise that is being used as a reference and what you're speaking about so this is a possible suggestion,if you're running an automatic transmission you may check the flywheel and or torque converter being that you said you can hear it more so down low than up towards the top of the engine and also due to the fact that when you explained that when you shift the car into reverse the noise goes away. But if I'm tapping into something and I'm completely on a different planet,with all due respect please forgive me but I corrected my LS1 with an irritating uncommon noise recently after looking and listening high and low many times it was not constant so when i would try to find it 90% of the time it would not be present! So I hate to admit this but I (semi neutral dropped it intentionally @roughly 2300 to 2500 rpm) and Wham-O it gave itself away! However it didn't fly apart it was still intact but flywheel was cracked from inside the ring gear all the way into the center of the flywheel flange so it just opened it up and made it a persistent noise detectible and easily located! Obviously not a technical troubleshoot but a dragracing buddy of mine suggested I do this because I leanednon him several.times and drove it.over to him twice while the noise was obvious but when I would get him to listen noise would be gone! The third time i did as he suggested! Third time was the charm!So peace and good luck! I'm a new member here so thanks to LS1TECH.com for having me and I'm looking forward to reading and getting tech help and offering any personal experiences or likewise issues and or similar circumstances&remedies!

Last edited by Buildlght, twsttight; 05-19-2024 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 504 Likes on 401 Posts

First piece of help I can give you: Don't resurrect 7 ( or 4 or 5 or 20 ) year old threads, as A) Most times the OP is long gone B) The problem has likely long since been solved and C) It annoys long timers. People post up problems on the regular, and it's best to just go to recent posts in each section and reply to anything you feel you have input for. Not trying to be a jerk, it just makes the site run smoother.

Quick Reply: i think this is my noise