General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Massive power steering fluid leak. Can I buy just the pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Massive power steering fluid leak. Can I buy just the pump?

So my car is hemorrhaging power steering fluid and coating the alternator with it. My previous 99 SS had the same issue and it leaves me wondering how they could make the PS pumps on these cars so absolutely terrible.

In any case, I've noticed you can buy the pumps with and without the reservoir. Can I buy the resevoirless pump and just use the plastic tank off of my old one? The ones without the tank are HALF the cost. Thanks for any info!
Old 10-21-2017, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yes you can buy just the pump. When I last had a power steering leak, it turned out to be the gasket between the pump and the reservoir. Also, check out the hose connections to the pump. If you get just the pump, make sure you get that gasket.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Yes, you can - but don't do it. Getting the right o-ring to seal the tank is tricky and we have not seen a reliable part reference for it.

The last thing you want here is to fix your pump and then end up with a leaking tank...
Old 10-23-2017, 07:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
So my car is hemorrhaging power steering fluid and coating the alternator with it. My previous 99 SS had the same issue and it leaves me wondering how they could make the PS pumps on these cars so absolutely terrible.

In any case, I've noticed you can buy the pumps with and without the reservoir. Can I buy the resevoirless pump and just use the plastic tank off of my old one? The ones without the tank are HALF the cost. Thanks for any info!
Hello,

You can purchase the power steering pump without the reservoir as long as yours is still in good working condition. Take a look at our power steering pump at https://www.turnone-steering.com/col...nt=28874071939 . This pump does come without the reservoir, but includes a new O-ring and clip to attached yours to our pump.

Please let us know if we can help!
Bry
Old 10-23-2017, 08:50 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
The last thing you want here is to fix your pump and then end up with a leaking tank...
I made this mistake. ^ Fortunately, TurnOne was there to save me and send the proper gasket.

Quick Reply: Massive power steering fluid leak. Can I buy just the pump?