Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

English guys first V8! ...into a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default English guys first V8! ...into a Porsche

Hey guys - First Post and First V8! Here in England we only have a few V8s, which mainly come in German cruisers. But I've imported an LS1 from Australia for my latest project.

I'm usually into turbo diesel OM606 Mercedes G-Wagons - A Borgwarner SXE maxed out to 45psi usually does the job, with a load of black smoke! But in the UK we have literally no LS knowledge at all, hence why i'm here asking dumb questions.

I'm fitting an LS1 into an early Porsche Boxster and i have some questions, because, of course i need WAY more power than they can deliver in N/A form...

1. For 700whp do I need to uprate any internals?

2. What turbo(s) are best for this power goal? Quick spool is key here - no laggy sh*t. Twin GT35's, or maybe a single GT42?

3. Why don't people generally push turbos past 8-9psi? Do the heads lift, valves float, EGT's rocket etc???

4. Aftermarket management - I've been looking at the Link Extreme ECU, because people in the UK can map it and it looks suitable. But i'm open to other suggestions.

5. What is the max safe RPM for a stock engine? I'm guessing rod bolts may be the weak link? What does it take to get 7000rpm?

Any help HUGELY appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails English guys first V8! ...into a Porsche-20170927_220714.jpg  
Old 11-23-2017, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

1) NO. But it would be best. How long do you want to chance it. I'm sure others wont agree.

2) No clue.

3) PEEPS PUSH THE BOOST HIGHER TO GET MORE POWER. (DAMN CAP LOCK) ... You might want to post in a FORCED INDUCTION section for more turbo oriented guidance.

4) Alot of people just use GM. Its up to you.

5) some will say about 6700RPMs. Some will say higher. What condition is your engine in? Just because some people can get away with doing something, doesn't mean its right . If you have a higher mileage motor, the safe RPM may be diminished,
Old 11-24-2017, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt,

There is a bit of knowledge over here

1. 700 Whp is about 800BHP...that’s pretty toppy on a standard LS1. I’d be looking at forged internals at that level

2&3 no idea, I went procharger for my boost fix.

4. The standard ECU can be used happily, there are people over here that can tune using either HPTuners or EFI Live

5. LS1 rod bolts are a known stretchy design and the default is to swap them for either ARP or Katech bolts

6. Are you intending to uprate the box at all?

7. I also have a 2.5 Boxster, you’re nuts ......we’ll done

Jim
Old 11-24-2017, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Australia the closest ls you could find? I would have figured the USA far more cost effective.
I think that for those power levels under boost all forged internals would be a must.
Packing twin turbos in a boxster will be hard , rear mounted may be the best option.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by MattCooper
Hey guys - First Post and First V8! Here in England we only have a few V8s, which mainly come in German cruisers. But I've imported an LS1 from Australia for my latest project.

I'm usually into turbo diesel OM606 Mercedes G-Wagons - A Borgwarner SXE maxed out to 45psi usually does the job, with a load of black smoke! But in the UK we have literally no LS knowledge at all, hence why i'm here asking dumb questions.

I'm fitting an LS1 into an early Porsche Boxster and i have some questions, because, of course i need WAY more power than they can deliver in N/A form...

1. For 700whp do I need to uprate any internals?

2. What turbo(s) are best for this power goal? Quick spool is key here - no laggy sh*t. Twin GT35's, or maybe a single GT42?

3. Why don't people generally push turbos past 8-9psi? Do the heads lift, valves float, EGT's rocket etc???

4. Aftermarket management - I've been looking at the Link Extreme ECU, because people in the UK can map it and it looks suitable. But i'm open to other suggestions.

5. What is the max safe RPM for a stock engine? I'm guessing rod bolts may be the weak link? What does it take to get 7000rpm?

Any help HUGELY appreciated!!
The UK has no LS knowledge at all ? You living in a closet ? lol

There are hundreds of conversions, many Ultimas, GD's and countless other machines using LS's in the UK. Craig at Dynotorque has converted at least one 911 already as well as many other cars.

As for turbos....a pair of GT35's would be a very poor choice for only 700hp.

1. Depends exactly what engine you choose and who is tuning it, and supporting mods etc.

2. You need to know what you have room for first, nevermind dreaming about exactly which units. You wont have huge amounts of room in a Boxster. So will it be twins or a single ?

3. Get out of that closet, nobody goes past 8-9psi ? LOFL.

4. Always choose an ecu you can get local support for, if that is Link for you, then go with Link. If you want the best, go Syvecs.

5. Again, depends which engine and usage. If you intend to sit and do burnouts or drifting all day, clearly it will have a shorter life than something used a little more sensibly. And what sort of rpm's do you actually need ?

Quick Reply: English guys first V8! ...into a Porsche