Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo bracing question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo bracing question

I am putting twin s366 on 6.0 in a 92 Sierra regular cab. It has motor mounts and I am trying to figure out how I need to brace the turbos if I even need to at all. Don't really want to go to a motor plate but the mounts I'm running allow the motor to move some and I don't see how I can brace them unless it's to the actual motor.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you wanna brace them to the frame you will.have to run a flex joint in the outside pipe between the manifold and the turbo. That is my plan anyway. My turbos will brace to the frame rail and it will have a flex joint in the outside piping to keep from breaking the outside pipes from torque over.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:07 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty common to brace them right off the engine on non motor plate cars. Depending on how you plan to run your exhaust you may need flex joints at some point in the system though.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ratical I'm the one the bought your turbos. I meant to ask you what intercooler you were running with these?
Old 11-25-2017, 05:49 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If the turbo is bolted to the engine, it will try to move with the engine. So make sure any brace you create will also move with the engine at both ends, in the same direction. Otherwise, a non-solid (non-clamped) mount should be used, one which allows rotation, flexible enough to account for all possible movements also in x and y directions, which to me sounds more difficult atm. Further, I feel that Flex sections in exhaust are limited in their ability to compensate for twist or bending, and any relief from such forces should be taken care of in the bracing. Any exhaust tube could be made to be "brace like" in addition to it's gas carrying ability, so do not neglect to think of a way in which to use the exhaust tube itself as part of a brace system.

Last edited by kingtal0n; 11-25-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jordoza777
If you wanna brace them to the frame you will.have to run a flex joint in the outside pipe between the manifold and the turbo. That is my plan anyway. My turbos will brace to the frame rail and it will have a flex joint in the outside piping to keep from breaking the outside pipes from torque over.
To the OP, ^^^this!
Old 11-25-2017, 07:52 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
Hey ratical I'm the one the bought your turbos. I meant to ask you what intercooler you were running with these?
I thought it was you. Lol.

I was running a Treadstone 1300hp cooler. 2.5" in on both ends and center 3.5" out the top. Slow sedan has the exact same one for sale here except I think his is 3" out. I paid extra for the upgrade.

Quick Reply: Turbo bracing question