Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Relay Circuit issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ignition Relay Circuit issue

I have a 1999 Trans Am that’s absolutely bone stock. I’m having an issue with the ignition relay circuit and am looking for feedback.

With the ignition switch on, I have power to terminals B3 (or 30) and C3 (or 85). However, with the ignition relay installed no power is transferred to C1 (or 87). Thus I have no power to the 15A INJ 1, 15A INJ 2 or 20A Eng Sen mini fuses. The engine will crank over, but because I have no fuel or spark, it obviously will not fire.

If I remove the relay and manually jump B3 (or 30) to C1 (or 87), the fuses receive power as normal and the engine starts up and operates as it should.

My first thought was that after 98,500 miles the original ignition relay finally failed. A quick trip to the local GM dealer netted a new Delphi unit. Ignition-on power returned and it started right up as expected. All seemed great for the first few starts and with only a few minutes of run time, it failed to start up. Again, I lost power to the (2) 15A INJ and single 20A Eng Sen fuses.

Any suggestion as to what might be happening on the C1 (or 87) circuit that could be causing my condition? I have no SES light or codes that would indicate a component issue. Am I looking at a grounding issue on the injector, ignition, or engine sensor side?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Quick Reply: Ignition Relay Circuit issue