Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch suggestion please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default clutch suggestion please.

alright i just dynod my truck today and had clutch slipping issues. may be partly due to my rear main leaking and possibly getting on the disc. So with that said its gonna come out so i figure id replace it with something a little better.

i currently have a used ls7 clutch in it. ive used them before and like and kinda need that pedal feel. (i have a bad knee). the truck is not a daily driver but i do like to drive it. i do not race or anything but would like to know that if i need to the clutch will be there to hold it.

its a 95 s10 turbo 5.3l/t56 just dyno'd 426rwhp/502rwtq @4800 cause clutch slippage. tuner said the way it was making power it should make around 500rwhp. couple of my buddies are saying that the ls7 clutch wont hold that much with the weight of the truck and power.

so short story long i am looking for a clutch thatll feel like a ls7 but perform a little better. also is there any options to keep the ls7 flywheel and pressure plate but change to a better clutch disc?

i saw somethign like this and wondered if thatll work. https://www.maperformance.com/produc...nt=27817803075
Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

you can run a more aggressive disc, typically a ceramic puc type, which will hold more power and a heavy truck ..........but there is always a trade off with more aggressive clutch disc materials. Chatter being the most common issue

I went through a few single disc clutches and wound up with a McLeod Twin disc clutch with organic full face disc so engagement was like stock but twice the surface area for hold.

The McLeod RST would be a good choice. You use your stock hydraulics
Old 02-22-2018, 06:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I run the McLeod RST as well. Just like described above. Great all around clutch
Old 02-22-2018, 06:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Whilst a multiplate is overkill for the power, to ensure you overdesign it because of wanting a light pedal, then a twin plate probably makes the most sense

Whether Monster or McLeod offer something that might bolt to your existing flywheel....that might be cheapest route if they do.

Or ACT offer a complete clutch/flywheel package, as will either of the above

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACL-T1S-G05
Old 02-22-2018, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

The Monster LT1-S is a great clutch since it utilizes the factory pressure plate and discs of the C7 clutch. It is a very easy install with the way it is designed, as well. It installs just like a single disc. A twin disc is something you should really consider since it allows for higher capabilities while maintaining a stock pedal feel.

If money is an issue, you can run a different disc and pressure plate with a flywheel resurface. You just need to make sure that whatever you select will work with the LS7 flywheel (the RST will not). Personally, I'd go with the twin disc, but if I were to go with a single, I'd run a dual friction disc.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

some good info. i will take it into consideration. thanx guys.