Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1979 gen 2 power steering box issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 gen 2 power steering box issues

hi guys i needing serious help here this is going to be a long story sorry

i got this firebird about 4 years ago and it never been on the road. its been getting restored it was all took back to bare metal painted black and all decals have been airbrushed on the car. i have rebuilt the engine which needed plus 30 oversized pistons crank reground plus 10 shells u name its had it anyway here goes the power steering box was leaking when i got the car so once engine was out i replaced box with a recconed one from classic industries which sat in the car for ages until i replaced the engine and box bag in the car when it was tie to start the car i used transission fluid in the pump and it ran fine up and don the road for about 5 mile then steering went tight and a god awfull noice coing from the pup and pump was very very hot. so i thought with this noise it was the pump so ordered another pump replaced put more transmission fluid in the pup to bleed system and after a min pum was making this god afull noise again on advise fro someone thats worked on pontiacs for years he said it was the box at fault so got onto classic industries to tell the this they would not replace box as i got it 2 years ago so i bought another one from classic industries fitted it put transmission fluid in aqnd bingo all was good and was taking it in and out of my garage to get other cars in to work on then one day steering went tight and for the life of e cant get it to work. have took pressure hose off and turned over fluid is hosing out of the end so not that replaced that took return of very little coming threw the return and this box has only been on for 3 month abd its the second one as well so i dont know whats going on im at your mercy for proper advice. i have read a post on here that people are saying that the small hole in the box seems to be for the pressure hose but y pressure hose sees to goto the large threaded hole in the box pleasase help im wanting it on the road for the summer as its been along time coming and dont want to order another bax and end up this hapening again p.s i have tried using transmission fluid with dexron 2 in it still nothing no return flow...be gentle i from scotland.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can give us a call on Monday, talk with Jeff and he will be able to help solve your issue.

Thanks,
​​​​​​​Junior
Old 02-24-2018, 07:35 PM

will do thank you very much
Old 02-27-2018, 09:45 AM

Those re-conditioned boxes are trash. Generally speaking Classic Industries will replace a bad part if you complain about it within a 30 day window from when it was delivered.