Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone else remove their SFCs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone else remove their SFCs?

So I am in the middle of freshening up the old bird with new steering rack, wheels, tires, bushings, etc. and decided to remove the sub frame connectors because its used now as more of a cruiser and I don't race it anymore. They were definitely great for the car when I was drag racing but I removed them before a trip to Atlanta this past weekend to see how I would like it. Biggest change is the ride quality, even so that my wife asked what I changed because it was riding so much better. I feel like the SFCs were amplifying the bumps and transferring that into the cabin, which I assume is exactly what they were doing. I took a few hard corners with a little throttle and I feel the car has a good bit more yaw action but it was a good feeling, not like it was out of control just shifted a little more. Overall I am glad I removed them and I wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience as well as give some feedback for anyone on the fence.

For the record I have Strano's springs and Koni Str.t shocks that are still pretty much brand new but were on the car before I took the SFC's off. Only thing I changed at the same time was the steering rack and wheels, I just pulled the SFC's off while i had it in the air.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

No, but mine are welded. If they weren't I still wouldn't take them off. I'd put stock springs back on and put my Koni's to full soft. But that's me, I'd never want a squishy unibody, on the event "I felt frisky" and wanted to take some curves or was on a bumpy road.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Squishy is not a word I would use to describe the ride I have now. I honestly feel like the corners I take hard now I have more control and less immediate release of traction if that makes sense. As in the car flexing a little is helping the tires stay grounded better.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if little dents appear in your rear right quarter dont blame us. buy better shocks & springs if you want a better ride. i wouldn't remove the SFC's.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If I didn't have them I wouldn't necessarily add them, but if I had them I certainly wouldn't remove them
Old 09-05-2018, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

SFCs are one of my best mods....I will never take them out
Old 09-05-2018, 04:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've seen this debate come about a few times. From my experience and opinion, those who feel "improvement" in handling from removing chassis stiffening components are usually band-aiding a lacking in other areas of the suspension balance and setup. Its the same in the drag racing side when guys say their 60' slowed down when the added an anti-roll bar. The car was only working without it due to coincidental inefficiency in the chassis.

Also, a subframe connector should not be viewed as an item directly related to handling. Its primary purpose is to strengthen the chassis against fatigue and long term wear issues.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-05-2018, 11:13 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum WS6
So I decided to remove the sub frame connectors because its used now as more of a cruiser and I don't race it anymore. They were definitely great for the car when I was drag racing but I removed them before a trip to Atlanta this past weekend to see how I would like it. Biggest change is the ride quality, even so that my wife asked what I changed because it was riding so much better. I feel like the SFCs were amplifying the bumps and transferring that into the cabin, which I assume is exactly what they were doing. I took a few hard corners with a little throttle and I feel the car has a good bit more yaw action but it was a good feeling, not like it was out of control just shifted a little more. Overall I am glad I removed them and I wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience as well as give some feedback for anyone on the fence.
As you can see from the thread below, I have been thinking about doing this on and off for 11 years.

When I was going to the dragstrip a lot, they really helped with the wrinkling I had had in my RR quarter. But I haven't been going to the strip for years now, and all I experience from them is the increased ride harshness - as you say, every little bump is jarring.

I haven't taken them off because they were welded on in a quality way. But I recently found a guy locally who says he can get them off. So I just might.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...emel-easy.html
Old 09-06-2018, 04:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know all about the cars that have dimpled but most of them did a lot of drag racing, hence the reason I bought them in the first place. I haven't hit the strip in years and I don't plan on it so I'm not really worried about the dimples. I agree with Eric in the fact it isn't supposed to be related to strictly handling but it does relate because chassis flex vs none at all will make a car handle and ride differently. I know this is a hot topic for a lot of guys and most will think I'm crazy but I made this thread for those that are in the same boat wondering if the car would be a better all around driving car with or without them. I personally think the car handles, drives, and rides better without them. I still have them obviously and I was doing this for an experiment so this is the results.

RevGTO I read your thread a while back and that's what got me thinking about it again. I read a long time ago about Sam Strano's setup, who seems to know what he is talking about, and he was explaining why he didn't run them but I can't find that thread again. Anyway, if you feel like its what you are looking for then you sound like you are in the same boat I am in. Cut em out
Old 09-06-2018, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
if little dents appear in your rear right quarter dont blame us. buy better shocks & springs if you want a better ride. i wouldn't remove the SFC's.
SFC's do absolutely nothing to prevent 1/4 pannel dimples, they don't even brace that far back... I have had 1/4 pannel dimples form AFTER installing 3pt weld in SFCs.

edit: here is a good read:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...bout-sfcs.html
Old 09-06-2018, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
SFC's do absolutely nothing to prevent 1/4 pannel dimples, they don't even brace that far back... I have had 1/4 pannel dimples form AFTER installing 3pt weld in SFCs.

edit: here is a good read:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...bout-sfcs.html
Thanks JD, that is the thread I remember reading a while back. Obviously its a personal thing so there isn't a right answer but I definitely enjoy driving it without more than with them.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum WS6
I read a long time ago about Sam Strano's setup, who seems to know what he is talking about, and he was explaining why he didn't run them but I can't find that thread again.
In ESP class they were not allowed long ago. A few years ago the rules changed to allow them (not sure the year) but Sam as a national competitor certainly could not install them and be legal, back then in like 2006. Maybe he had additional reasons. Weight certainly is a factor for racing.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
In ESP class they were not allowed long ago. A few years ago the rules changed to allow them (not sure the year) but Sam as a national competitor certainly could not install them and be legal, back then in like 2006. Maybe he had additional reasons. Weight certainly is a factor for racing.
Interesting, I didn't know that but I'm not sure he would have installed them anyway. Who knows.....
Old 09-06-2018, 06:27 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
SFC's didn't prevent dimples on top of the quarter panels from recurring. But after installing them, I never had a recurrence of the vertical crease that developed in my RR quarter from dead hooking.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

MWC True sub frame connectors prevent dimples and creases
Old 09-06-2018, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

After putting solid motor mounts in a whole bunch of creaks/rattles started. Put the 3pt SFC in. Took care of about 90% of it.

It still had the stock motor then too. If I took them off now it would rattle like crazy I suspect. All personal preference.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

The quarter panel dimples are caused by wheel hop. Has nothing to do with chassis flex caused by lack of frame connectors. The huge quarters on these cars flop around like crazy when wheel hopped. I can’t find it now, but someone had put a camera on the car showing what was happening.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I cut mine off, cleaned the ends up and got $100 bucks for them. I installed a 10 point cage beforehand though.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i first got my car it rocked like a boat over bumps & rail road tracks. after welded BMR sfc's no more rocking. you cant possibly tell me twisting metal is good for the body in the long run. i did add all 3 parts at the same time so im not sure which one fixed my wheel hop. (sfc ; lca's ; panhard). article may 2004 super chevy "ls1 dos & donts" claims the first thing you should do is sfc's.

Last edited by DANOZ28; 09-10-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting. When you say you changed wheels, does that mean you also got new tires? New tires can make a car feel a lot different especially if they are a different brand.