LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Smoke at wot

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke at wot

I have a 1997 z28 m6. The car gas basically been sitting in the garage for the last year with only being ran a couple of times. Recently I decided to take it out. I started to notice some white smoke when getting on it while driving, my first thought was probably bad gas from sitting so long. Well the more I drove the more smoke that started, eventually the inside of the car got so bad I had to turn around and head home as I was getting light headed from it and could barely breathe.

Once I got back to the house I popped the hood to see if I could find anything. On the passenger side , the dip stick was pushed out , oil was all over the passenger side of the engine , the headers were completely baked with oil it was a complete mess. I started looking at forums and found alot of posts mentioning a bad pcv valve. So I went up to the store and got a new pcv valve put on and took a drive. It was still smoking very little but only when really getting on to it. When I got on it, I would see a good puff of white smoke in the rear view mirror. Otherwise just driving normal I didnt notice anything. No performce loss from what I can tell. When I got back home I popped the hood. The oil dipstick was still in place and from what I could tell I didnt see anymore oil. I left the car running and removed the oil cap and there was puffs of smoke coming out of the oil fill tube. I'm praying this isnt a bad piston ring or something that is going to be a pain to fix.

The following mods done are , hot cam, 1.6rr, valve springs, 42lb injectors , electric water pump , msd opti, slp mid length headers, mail in order tune. The car only has 71k miles. The mods done around 50k miles. Running full synthetic oil.

Could this have something to do with the car sitting so long without being drove? Could it take awhile for the smoke to clear after replacing the pcv valve? This just seems so odd when I parked the car no issues at all then it sits for awhile and suddenly I'm dealing with all of this.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:11 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Do a leakdown or compression test on every cylinder if possible.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

White smoke at start up - condensation in exhaust. The other sitting for months at a time and short running or idling isn't good either. Rings could be stuck. Some kind of decarboner and "drive it like you stole it" more often." Fogging" intake similar to a marine storage if car is going to sit for months at a time.