Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

split second mechanical over-rev

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default split second mechanical over-rev

hey everyone.. so recently I was dicking around in my 6 speed 01 z.. cammed with supporting valvetrain.. and I missed a gear bad for the first time in my life. Except I don't think this missed gear was the typical neutral rev limiter scenario.. I think I actually somehow yanked 2nd instead of 4th. It happened very fast and I clutched in immediately (or as fast as I could) because the car spiked VERY high rpm and started wheel hopping real bad.. which made me think it had to of been 2nd. still can't believe it.. but anyway here's a video. I drove it home fine, no weird noises from engine or trans that i can tell, the cars got a dumped X pipe off long tubes so can't really hear every little thing, but i really think I might have fucked something up. Anyone ever do this and your car has been fine since? I'll be pulling heads to check for valve dings on the pistons. It sounded like ~8500 rpm...

Old 10-21-2018, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I actually did this for the very first time recently lol. Best that I can tell eveything sounds the same, except for maybe a slight increased vibration around 80 mph. The vibration was there before after the torque arm install, but i swear it's just a tiny bit worse now.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Hey, you might be totally OK. I didn't hear any weird noises in the video. How does it sound idling? That's when you will hear naughty noises. LS engines are amazingly tough. The occasional wing-it to high RPM's can usually be handled.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it’s running fine you’re probably ok, just dodged a bullet. It wouldn’t hurt to remove the valve covers and inspect for damage. You can bump the engine with injectors unplugged and make sure all the valve movements are smooth and get a visual on the springs/rockers/retainers. I would invest in a cheap borescope instead of pulling the heads if there are no other signs of damage.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by s30.hybrid
If it’s running fine you’re probably ok, just dodged a bullet. It wouldn’t hurt to remove the valve covers and inspect for damage. You can bump the engine with injectors unplugged and make sure all the valve movements are smooth and get a visual on the springs/rockers/retainers. I would invest in a cheap borescope instead of pulling the heads if there are no other signs of damage.
^^^^^^^^ VERY good advice! ^^^^^^^^
Old 10-21-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Money $hift. Yikes. I highly recommend pulling a couple spark plugs and looking for eyebrows.

You mighta lucked out, depending on the valvetrain. But thirty minutes to check cylinders 1,2 is worth it. If you see eyebrows, my condolences.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

$hifts suck
Old 10-21-2018, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Don't pull the heads, Buy or borrow a bore scope and you should be able to see the piston tops easy enough. Since it was wheel hoping you may not have revved as far as you think. I put a brand new LSA supercharger with an new LS3 drive by wire throttle body. First time I turned the key and it fired up and idled fine. I shut it down to check for leaks and fired it a second time, RPMs shot through the roof instantly. Looked at the logs and it spiked just over 7,800 with no load at all. Checked everything over and it was fine. Long story short this happened twice before I figured out the cause and it still runs it's *** off a few thousand miles later.

Edit: I didn't see the borescope was mentioned already lol
Old 10-21-2018, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I will try a Borescope first. Believe me this is embarrassing to post lol.. I’ve never done anything close to as stupid as this. The on-ramp is a slight right turn which is the only reason I can think of myself yanking it toward second. ******* stupid and I am sick over it. Worst case I do have another ls1 ready to drop in haha

Last edited by dan.b; 10-22-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Don't pull the heads, Buy or borrow a bore scope and you should be able to see the piston tops easy enough. Since it was wheel hoping you may not have revved as far as you think. I put a brand new LSA supercharger with an new LS3 drive by wire throttle body. First time I turned the key and it fired up and idled fine. I shut it down to check for leaks and fired it a second time, RPMs shot through the roof instantly. Looked at the logs and it spiked just over 7,800 with no load at all. Checked everything over and it was fine. Long story short this happened twice before I figured out the cause and it still runs it's *** off a few thousand miles later.

Edit: I didn't see the borescope was mentioned already lol
damn that’s scary. the first time I fired up my btr4 swap it shot up to 2500 rpm and hung there a few seconds. scared the **** out of me lol. Couldn’t imagine 7800
Old 10-21-2018, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dan.b

damn that’s scary. the first time I fired up my btr4 swap it shot up to 2500 rpm and hung there a few seconds. scared the **** out of me lol. Couldn’t imagine 7800
Trust me I couldn't turn it off fast enough, Log showed it made 7lbs of boost also, It ended up being a defective throttle body. After the second time it happened I triple checked everything and then used a camera to watch the throttle body while just turning the key on and off and sure enough every so many cycles the throttle blade would go wide open and stay there, I tried another throttle body and it never did it again. First starts always worry me but I wasn't expecting that lol.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Been there done that and had a log of it. Wheel hop and everything like you said. I clutch kicked as soon as I realized and it was only 6800 in the logs.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Trust me I couldn't turn it off fast enough, Log showed it made 7lbs of boost also, It ended up being a defective throttle body. After the second time it happened I triple checked everything and then used a camera to watch the throttle body while just turning the key on and off and sure enough every so many cycles the throttle blade would go wide open and stay there, I tried another throttle body and it never did it again. First starts always worry me but I wasn't expecting that lol.
man I was really curious to the story on your first post but didn’t want to derail this thread. Was this an aftermarket TB? Thanks for sharing the info.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 AM
Launching!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

You can pick up a bore scope on Amazon for your smart phone for less that $20.00 and it has great resolution and you can take pics.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That sounded high but didn’t sound bad. Honestly it just sounded like you heel-toed it for a down shift. If it’s running fine I wouldn’t even worry about it, the valvetrain clearly kept everything in control - you’d definitely know if it didn’t because there would be no “I drove it home” part of this story.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by s30.hybrid

man I was really curious to the story on your first post but didn’t want to derail this thread. Was this an aftermarket TB? Thanks for sharing the info.
Stock LS3, I run the Holley system and have to select one that is compatible and the stock LSA part number wasn't on the list so I bought a new takeoff LS3 throttle body.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
That sounded high but didn’t sound bad. Honestly it just sounded like you heel-toed it for a down shift. If it’s running fine I wouldn’t even worry about it, the valvetrain clearly kept everything in control - you’d definitely know if it didn’t because there would be no “I drove it home” part of this story.
ehhh idk man I was already tickling 6500 right before it shot up.. I wasn’t done with the pull yet lol
Old 10-22-2018, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NCDEERE
You can pick up a bore scope on Amazon for your smart phone for less that $20.00 and it has great resolution and you can take pics.
Thanks for the tip! I’ll be doing that for sure
Old 10-22-2018, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dan.b
ehhh idk man I was already tickling 6500 right before it shot up.. I wasn’t done with the pull yet lol
8.Lug is right. I think you dodged a BIG bullet, and everything should be OK. These engines can wind farther than most pushrod V8's, farther into the ozone that you think.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G Atsma
8.Lug is right. I think you dodged a BIG bullet, and everything should be OK. These engines can wind farther than most pushrod V8's, farther into the ozone that you think.
you are probably right, unfortunately I am the type of person that if it can happen to me.. it usually does..