Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Maintenance question.

1998, m6, formula, 72,xxx miles, no problems, runs like a dream. Question for those of you that have had these cars for many years, what's your opinion on replacing sensors "just because of age/mileage? I have no problems, no mil's, but I'm fairly certain my car has all the original sensors (tps, 02's, iac, coils, etc). My harbor freight scanner shows 02 switching and L/STFT's to be fine (within the scope of my understanding), so is there anything to be gained from replacing perfectly working, but old, original sensors "just because they are old"? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,356 Posts

If they are performing within normal parameters, keep them. Most are easy to change if/when an issue arises.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

One often over looked area of maintenance for these LS1 4th Gen is replacing the intake manifold gaskets. After 20+ years of being compressed, they can slowly start to leak.

Sometimes leaking in a disastrous manner after a hard rain, resulting in a hydro-locked engine.

The only sensors I would replace with no codes and no issues would be the knock sensors while the intake manifold is off for new gaskets. Mainly because it's annoying to pull the intake to replace knock sensors if they fail.

Regular coolant flush and replacement goes long way in keeping radiator happy etc.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,294 Posts

If it's not broke then don't fix it would be my suggestion. I recently noticed one of my fans doing some chirping after shutdown so I put the compressed air to it trying to clear the dirt out of it but its still squealing so it looks like I may be removing the fans to investigate further.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

half the sensors you get wont be "original" and will be the "gm recomended replacement" sensor......definately not the same.

in this scenario, it would be sorta like replacing a 150,000 mile well built car thats 10 years old for like a brand new KIA soul. just because its new doesnt make it better or less prone to failure.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the replies, guys. The basis for the question is that I'm putting together a parts list for when I put it away this winter (hci and such), so new intake gaskets will go with a fast 92. Read your review of the 90 ls6 several times, black bird, and since I don't have an ls6 to begin with I'm going to go with the fast 92 (more concerned with broad, flat mid range torque) . Already did a dexcool refill (sadly, before I was aware of the coolant sensor issue with these cars). It gets driven very little, maybe 500-700 miles per year in the summers. Time is my nemesis. So, if I can end up with the same result (or better, had I wound up with an inferior sensor or two) while spending no money, sounds like an awesome plan to me. Thank a lot guys.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Originally Posted by Enigma540
Thanks for the replies, guys. The basis for the question is that I'm putting together a parts list for when I put it away this winter (hci and such), so new intake gaskets will go with a fast 92. Read your review of the 90 ls6 several times, black bird, and since I don't have an ls6 to begin with I'm going to go with the fast 92 (more concerned with broad, flat mid range torque) . Already did a dexcool refill (sadly, before I was aware of the coolant sensor issue with these cars). It gets driven very little, maybe 500-700 miles per year in the summers. Time is my nemesis. So, if I can end up with the same result (or better, had I wound up with an inferior sensor or two) while spending no money, sounds like an awesome plan to me. Thank a lot guys.
The Fast 92 sounds like an excellent choice for your application. Sounds like a well cared for Formula, that's well on the way to being an even more fun Formula!
Old 06-20-2019, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Most sensors on the engine last just about forever, and never need replacement. There are two notable exceptions: O2 sensor, and TPS.

The O2 sensors will slowly fade away, until they eventually die completely. Especially is cars that don't get driven much, or only get driven for short periods. It's reasonable to replace those every so often. 50K miles is not unreasonable for a good Bosch sensor.

The TPS is more than a sensor, it's also a mechanical device. And it's plastic. It can wear and get sloppy where the metal shaft meets the plastic sensor. If there's any wear at all in there, I'd replace it.