Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Mistakes were made....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mistakes were made....

So i last drove the SS last week, When i put it in the garage i didnt put the top up. So i got back in it and turned the ignition to "on" and closed the top. fast forward to yesterday, i wanted to wax the car for a car show on Saturday. Started ok but not strong. then after moving the car to the center of the garage i looked at it and was like it doesn't need to be waxed. So i start it back up and it ran like crap and she died. Took the battery to Advance auto and the battery is toast. The battery is only 3 years old. I guess using the battery instead of starting the car to close the top is what killed it.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

It is definitely a strain on the battery. 3 years is a short life for a quality battery but sometimes it just happens. I've been averaging 5 years on my T/A and Mustang batteries over the years. The C6 GM battery is less than two years old so I can't make a comparison yet but no way would I put the top up/down without starting the car first. Good luck with whatever battery brand you go for next.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i know ill never do that again!
Old 07-28-2019, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I always start the car if I drop or raise the top... even do it with the windows
Old 12-24-2019, 04:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upgrading your ground wires from engine to battery and battery to body to thicker wires helps with this if running aftermarket radio or anything else I would also do the wire from alt to battery the strain on your battery will be reduced with less resistance and your alternator will last longer also plus a lot of times even get a little performance boost as your cars electronics will flow better and not have to work as hard things run cooler and happier.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I have seen the quality of batteries go down hill just in the last 10 years. I had a Carquest in my old Galant that lasted 5 or 6 years and I had killed it several times. My father in law had Carquest batteries in his 99 F350 years ago and they lasted a long time for a diesel. Went with Napa batteries and they have lasted half as long.