Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

6L80 torque converter clutch drag?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2024, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 172 Likes on 127 Posts
Question 6L80 torque converter clutch drag?

Has anyone had any problems using an aftermarket converter in their 6L80? I bought my converter used, and it has about a 3600 stall. I'm thinking the clutches are worn out, because it won't stay locked up. I "zero'ed-out" the programmed slip in the tune, but it's still slipping about 50 rpms. It makes a horrible rumbling sound, and sometimes causes the car to shake. It does this at idle, with the trans in gear, and sitting at a stop. It also does this while moving on the highway, or at slower speeds, when the converter is supposed to be locked up. It doesn't do it in park, or very much in neutral. Circle-D said they can re-buid the converter, but I don't know if that alone is going to fix the problem. I'm thinking there needs to be more pressure going to the lock-up clutches to keep them either fully locked, or fully unlocked.

My 4L80 had a converter clutch drag, but it only did it for a second when taking off from a stop. After that, it was smooth. Do I just have bad luck with converters, or is this a common issue?
Old 06-21-2024, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Utinator
Has anyone had any problems using an aftermarket converter in their 6L80? I bought my converter used, and it has about a 3600 stall. I'm thinking the clutches are worn out, because it won't stay locked up. I "zero'ed-out" the programmed slip in the tune, but it's still slipping about 50 rpms. It makes a horrible rumbling sound, and sometimes causes the car to shake. It does this at idle, with the trans in gear, and sitting at a stop. It also does this while moving on the highway, or at slower speeds, when the converter is supposed to be locked up. It doesn't do it in park, or very much in neutral. Circle-D said they can re-buid the converter, but I don't know if that alone is going to fix the problem. I'm thinking there needs to be more pressure going to the lock-up clutches to keep them either fully locked, or fully unlocked.

My 4L80 had a converter clutch drag, but it only did it for a second when taking off from a stop. After that, it was smooth. Do I just have bad luck with converters, or is this a common issue?
The 6L80 converters have had issues from the start. The cure is a billet converter with an aftermarket (heavy-duty) clutch material that won't slip or shudder. Call PI at 800-649-7866
Old 06-21-2024, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 172 Likes on 127 Posts

That’s what I have. It’s a Pro Series from Circle-D. My 4L80 had an HP series from Circle-D. Do I need to try a Yank?
Old 06-21-2024, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't speak for any other brand converter because I don't know what they put in it. I know Precision Industries makes an excellent converter.

Quick Reply: 6L80 torque converter clutch drag?