Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

New engine builder questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine builder questions

Hello everyone, I am building a twin-turbo LQ9 6.0 around 600hp and have a lot of questions before I start picking out parts. I'm looking to build a bulletproof engine for the street so I need some driveability, something that could hit 1000hp if I want to in the future. If you have an answer to one or a few of them if you could please put the number next to your answer.

1. My bore is .001 out of round and I am wondering if I would have to take it to a machine shop to get it bored perfectly circular (I keep finding different answers online)
2. I want to use the stock 317 heads with upgraded springs so I can hit the 6800-7000 rpm range, what are the best kits for the heads, I'm planning on going with a lower lift cam and I keep seeing different things everywhere about ratio rockers, valve seat pressure, lift height and its all a bit overwhelming. ATM planning on just doing a trunnion upgrade and ARP bolts.
3. I have an NA cam already from another truck and I was wondering if it would work with the turbos or if I need a designated turbo cam. also wondering if there are good-priced top-end kits with everything that I would need
4. Is there any need to beef up the crank bolts or bearings around that HP?
5. Any helpful things that you have come across when building engines

Quick Reply: New engine builder questions