Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Bearing discrepancies - MWC Fab 9

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Bearing discrepancies - MWC Fab 9

I want to see if anyone can help me with this issue.

My driver side axle bearing on my MWC Fab 9 is leaking small amounts of gear oil onto the wheel. Along with damage caused by the previous shop that worked on it, we decided to replace to bearings and gears.

Prior to this current service, my previous shop took my axles to an axle shop along with bearings I ordered from MWC. The bearings that I received at that time however looked very different than the bearings that came installed on my axle.

Here we are holding one of the brand new bearings that I received from MWC. The bearing in the red bucket was the old bearing that was removed from my axle.

The bearing he is holding deeper into his hand below is the one that we removed from my axle:

At that time, I emailed MWC and advised them that the bearing styles did not look the same. They advised me that they are the correct bearings. Later, I decided to have another shop take a look, however; the new shop is running into the same issue. I advised MWC, however; MWC emailed me:

The bearing in the red bucket is the tapered style, that is what we sent you. Strange A1013.
The bearing in the red bucket is NOT what I was sent. The bearing in the red bucket is the old bearing that was removed from my axle. I googled Strange A1013 and received this:

The bearings do not look the same. Do I have the correct bearings or not?

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-23-2024 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2024, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,344 Posts

That bearing is a tapered bearing and if you removed it from the race then you'd see that they're the same.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
That bearing is a tapered bearing and if you removed it from the race then you'd see that they're the same.
Are they supposed to be installed while inside the race or do I take them outside the race?
Old 06-24-2024, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Are they supposed to be installed while inside the race or do I take them outside the race?
You take the race and install it in the housing end. The seal and bearing gets installed on the axle itself. On my MWC unit with those same bearings I needed a couple shims made by strange because of a 1/8" gap or so
Old Today, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

So we are having problems removing the race from the bearing. We see that they are not sealed but tapered, but the race does not want to come off of the bearing / seals. Does it require any special tools to remove the race? it is very solid on there. It does rotate as it should, but its acting as if it is a sealed bearing when trying to remove the race.
Old Today, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
So we are having problems removing the race from the bearing. We see that they are not sealed but tapered, but the race does not want to come off of the bearing / seals. Does it require any special tools to remove the race? it is very solid on there. It does rotate as it should, but its acting as if it is a sealed bearing when trying to remove the race.
It should just pull apart no problem. Just like in the pic
Attached Thumbnails Bearing discrepancies - MWC Fab 9-screenshot_20240630-092134.png  

Quick Reply: Bearing discrepancies - MWC Fab 9