Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pushing out of the Oil Filter Seal.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil pushing out of the Oil Filter Seal.

I did heads cam swap om my LS1/M6 Trans Am. I replaced the oil pump, pickup tube ring, barbel, timing chain, cam plate, front and real covers and crank seals, plus all the other assorted pieces to do the swap. I started the car and it read no oil pressure. Took a valve cover off, and not all of the rockers had oil on them. Check under the car there is a small puddle of oil under the oil filter. You can see that its leaking from the seal. I swap it out for a wix filter same issue. When I swapped the filters there was a good amount of oil that fell out, like a normal oil change. So I would think the pump is working. The oil pump has been ported. I am not sure what would cause this issue.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Old 06-28-2024, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Could it be leaking from the cover w/ 2 bolts above the oil filter?
Old 06-28-2024, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went back out to the car sprayed the area with brake clean. It is leaking from the block off above the filter. It basically runs down the block goes around the filter and drips from it. I will have to change this gasket.

I will be ordering a oil pressure sender/switch to replace the original one and see if that helps. It worked before I did the swap, but who knows if I whacked it taking the intake off.
The following users liked this post:
LilJayV10 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 666 Likes on 462 Posts

runs down the block goes around the filter and drips from it
Be aware BEFORE you start, those bolts are only 6mm, and go into aluminum. VERY fine threads with VERY little bite into the holes. The absolute most troublesome size of metric bolts (with the possible exception of 11mm) esp when going into aluminum.

If I was the betting kind, (I'm not... I was a university statistics teacher in a past life) I would bet that those bolt holes are stripped, and/or that you will strip them in the process of changing that gasket.

Figure out what it will take to Heli-Coil them THE FIRST TIME. Not, slap-happy it, then come back on here whining about "it leaks even worse now GM sucks FelPro sucks everything sucks", and realizing you should have done that in the first place. Might, for example, take a right-angle drill attachment and maybe wizz-wheel off the drill bit acoupla inches so it fits up in there. You'll have to inspect carefully beforehand and make those kinds of judgment calls and then prepare the proper prep.
The following 2 users liked this post by RB04Av:
G Atsma (06-28-2024), grinder11 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 10:21 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,505 Likes on 2,161 Posts

And to add to this, those block-off plates will warp very easily if the bolts get overtightened. Check it for flatness on a flat plate, or use your wife’s granite countertops…just don’t tell her about it.

Quick Reply: Oil pushing out of the Oil Filter Seal.