General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Engine Knocking

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Knocking

So I used about a 1/4 of a can of seafoam spray through the intake on a warm engine while revving at 1500-2k, I didn't spray in one go, sat for 15mins before tuning her over and burning carbon off. Took her on the freeway for 10mins 60-70mph 3000rpms, came off the freeway and heard this knocking sound, my first guess is carbon deposit stuck in the chamber but I tried driving a bit more hoping it would eventually burn off, knocking became louder as I go up in rpms and longer the engine is running, no loss in power, used a stethoscope over the valve covers, sounds like a woodpecker even sound throughout, checked underneath on the oil pan, sound was more faint. Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: wav
1(2).wav (4.60 MB, 10 views)
Old Today, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 507 Likes on 366 Posts

With the engine warmed up that doesn't sound very good. Thanks for the audio. Many of us get the cold engine sounds but they go away when the engine is warmed up. Sorry to hear this noise but maybe someone will chime in with helpful info. Interesting that it started with the Seafoam.
Old Today, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

That high of RPM on the freeway for that long may have spun a Rod, or it's a Lifter messed up which is not good either.

Pull the Valve Covers and look at the Rockers, if you're lucky one came loose. If all look good check to see if any have excessive play up and down.

Quick Reply: Engine Knocking