New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long tube / tune question

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long tube / tune question

Can't really find a solid answer on here so far.

If I installed the ARH long tube's with cats and y pipe, is there still a need for a new tune? I figure with a catless setup there would be more reason for a tune. Might be a simple question but I want to make sure before I waste money on a system with cats.

thanks
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

I changed NOTHING in my tune as it relates to the use of long tube (in my El Camino) or short tube headers in my Catalina convertible. Nothing got changed for upping injector fueling or changing airflow. I did notice that the PCM is able to cope with the headers by adding some fuel as seen at the Long and Short Term Fuel Trims in the OBD2 parameter streaming data. Maybe three percent extra fuel added by the PCM, not much - it could have gone up as much as twenty five percent in this operating system at max coping ability in the PCM.

Sure, you could tinker with fueling if you wanted to get everything back to a zero LTFT and STFT but I saw no reason to do that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
Thanos (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
I changed NOTHING in my tune as it relates to the use of long tube (in my El Camino) or short tube headers in my Catalina convertible. Nothing got changed for upping injector fueling or changing airflow. I did notice that the PCM is able to cope with the headers by adding some fuel as seen at the Long and Short Term Fuel Trims in the OBD2 parameter streaming data. Maybe three percent extra fuel added by the PCM, not much - it could have gone up as much as twenty five percent in this operating system at max coping ability in the PCM.

Sure, you could tinker with fueling if you wanted to get everything back to a zero LTFT and STFT but I saw no reason to do that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Rick
Ok cool, this a 98 T/A, would you recommend catless then if the O2 can just keep it happy enough?

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Catless? Yes but . . . . but . . . . ONLY if you live in a state that does not require catalytic converters for emissions control. My engines perform well without cats and the exhaust has no "eyes burning" obnoxious smell at all. Some people do complain of that in their vehicles.

Rick
Thanos (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

Catless? Yes but . . . . but . . . . ONLY if you live in a state that does not require catalytic converters for emissions control. My engines perform well without cats and the exhaust has no "eyes burning" obnoxious smell at all. Some people do complain of that in their vehicles.

Rick
ive never had any issues with aftermarket catless setups here in Indiana.
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 147 Posts

Keep in mind not having catalytic converters will throw an SES light. Tuning should eliminate the light.
Thanos (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Keep in mind not having catalytic converters will throw an SES light. Tuning should eliminate the light.
so the ARH kit with cats would keep the ses light away? Lots to digest!
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The O2 sensors after the catalytic converters, their operation and their response to the operating system must be turned off in the operating system tune to not throw an OBD2 trouble code.

Rick
Old Today, 03:13 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

WOT fueling will suffer from elevated fuel trims. It just makes sense to clean up the tune for headers if you care about getting maximum benefit from the modification and especially if you already have tuning capabilities. It would make zero sense to leave this power on the table if you already have a tuning suite, there is no downside to "fixing" it.

Originally Posted by Thanos
so the ARH kit with cats would keep the ses light away?
Not necessarily. Many folks will still get an SES light with aftermarket cats, so you might have to tune out the light even if you go with the catted Y. Personally, I would not put cats on anything unless it was subject to a visual and/or sniff inspection.

Quick Reply: Long tube / tune question