Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hello Im John and I have Questions.

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello Im John and I have Questions.

Hello, I have a 1990 GMC 4x4 1500 reg cab, short wheelbase. I was headed home from work Friday and realized I had no oil pressure. Put a manual gauge on it and sure enough 15lb. Time for an LS swap I have done this before but it has been A while [the cost has gone up] 1 of my Questions is can I use a 2008 1500 Express cargo van with a factory 5.7 and 4l60 as a doner? will I run into any unusual problems because it's a van?
Old Today, 06:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 571 Likes on 453 Posts

1) No such thing as a 5.7 van or truck. That displacement was only in F-bodies, GTOs, and Vettes. It's either a 4.8 or a 6.0. I don't recall seeing any 5.3 vans, but I could be wrong. 2) If the van is a 2WD, you're going to have added expense/labor converting the trans to 4WD, so look for a 4WD donor. The 4L60E fits into the same space as a 700R-4, so it should physically bolt in with no issues. Other than those two things, you'll probably have to change out the van specific oil fill and dipstick and whatever other accessories are van specific. Not sure on any other items. If it were me, and the van has a 4.8 in it, I wouldn't even bother. Those engines are great for guys throwing boost at them, but they're pretty crappy for motivating a full size truck.
The following users liked this post:
68Formula (Today)

Quick Reply: Hello Im John and I have Questions.