Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pump or VB - what's that noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pump or VB - what's that noise?

05 Yukon, 260k+ on trans, I bought it w/150k on it and I think it got rebuilt previously. The case is painted.
On shifts or light throttle when cold, it makes a light ringing sound. Like the PR or AFL valve is cycling. It's a continuous noise in D3. If I let off the throttle is will go away. Not super loud. But my old tinnitus ears can hear it with the stereo off. I drive 80mi a day. It shifts perfect. One of these days I'll remember to turn the stereo off when I get stuck in traffic to see if it does it when hot.
Old 07-23-2024, 05:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 411 Posts

I had a guy a few years ago he said it was a metallic buzzing sound. We tracked it down to the pressure control solenoid. He replaced it and noise gone. description same as you give.

Old 07-24-2024, 02:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Frank, I'll add it to my next Rock order.
And thanks for the tip on the stove heating of the input shaft for removal. I was a little worried about galling on removal.
I've got an 06 4wd trans 200k+ from a truck I parted out for the S10 swap that will probably need resealed.

Quick Reply: Pump or VB - what's that noise?