Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TG pump rings -when do you have to use them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TG pump rings -when do you have to use them?

stock tune 00' v6 4wd RCSB S10 150k.
So I needed this trans to last a few years and I went through it. Cheaply...
The sprag squeal was real loud when I parked it. - parked for years because of the noise.

Gaskets, seals, BW fiber kit, roller clutch,LB1, blocked 3/4 acc mod, 3-2 soleniod blocked w/extra spring moved to afl valve, .076 2nd feed, ~.100 3rd/BR, Stk servos, oringed vb plugs, blocked tcc pwm valve.
Al. 1-2 and fwd pistons w/ new pins.
Trans looked great inside. I thought I was wasting my time and money. If not for that stupid squeal...you could hear it inside the truck with the windows up.
Band clearance is on the high side but I forgot to get a band. The sprag looked fine w/minimal wear to the overrun clutch hub. Races were perfect.
It has the sprag with the yellow rings. I convinced myself it was old oil causing the sprag squeal and didn't replace sprag. Just drilled the extra lube holes in the ring. It was my DD and I did 108mi a day.
Saving the new sprag for the other trans.
While it was going together, I remembered the bolt in the pump slide spring mod and thought why not. It's free.
I need to build another trans for the LS swap so I was trying to be cheap. I think I put <$ 450 into it. Need it to last about 20k miles.

Well, it's back in and I'm testing it with a pressure gauge. On a cold free rev it will hit 300 psi for an instant. 210psi testing the pcs current cold.
The 300psi got me thinking about the TG pump rings I have for the other trans...

Do I or should I swap in some hardened rings?

The oil cooler line leak I fixed masked the rear main seal leak I couldn't see. So if I can't live with the leak I can justify going backward some more...again
I replaced all the brake system except the ABS pump. -not all at once! I'm still chasing a soft pedal so I can't drive it yet. My DD is slowly getting worse so I need to get a spare vehicle going so I can go through the trans on it. Got a kid in college so I have a cash flow problem...
Old 07-23-2024, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 535 Likes on 415 Posts

I don't believe the TransGo hardened rings will affect line pressure. They are used because the stock cast iron rings tend to break.
Old 07-23-2024, 09:24 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

The TransGo rings will have a little more pressure at a hot idle. I have used them since the days of 7 vane rotors (early 1980's) that were notorious for breaking up. Once the TransGo steel rings were used with the 7 vane setup, the problem was solved, and have used them in everything since.
The following users liked this post:
bbond105 (07-23-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 02:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.
So how often do stock rings break now a days. With the stiff slide spring now I don't see the slide moving around as much as stock and causing an issue.
But I have a hard time seeing how they break anyway. Can't seem to visualize the improper movement...
Old 07-24-2024, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 357 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS10
Thanks guys.
So how often do stock rings break now a days. With the stiff slide spring now I don't see the slide moving around as much as stock and causing an issue.
But I have a hard time seeing how they break anyway. Can't seem to visualize the improper movement...
I have not seen the pump rotor rings break in 20+ years since GM redesigned the OE rings. What I do see is the pump rotor breaks and causes the ring damage. I do use new Sealed Power pump rings a lot. All my performance builds get TransGo HP rings.
The following users liked this post:
dixiebandit69 (07-26-2024)

Quick Reply: TG pump rings -when do you have to use them?