Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Tahoe z71

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2024, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 08 Tahoe z71

Picked up a VERY clean Tahoe the other day, low oil pressure issue. Not, o ring and with all the shrapnel in the pan (magnet thru drain hole got me all kinds of junk) I'd say can bearings and other stuff shot. So quite it's unreal, manual gauge says about 6spi at idle, goes up with revv. Have a few gen 3 blocks sitting and full rotating assembly from a gen 4 sitting here, going to throw one together for it, want to go with a slightly better cam than stock, we won't tow but really would use for cross country trips . Has 4.11 (gt5) gears and a 4l60e (M30) unfortunately, if it had a 6l80 it'd be getting a 6l. Is it even worth anything but a stck can? It'll get headers soon enuff ( the wife likes it to sound good) but doesn't need too much more power. It'll have 243s and a gen 4 truck intake. Goal is better mpg with passing power , tires are rote at 32", may be 33s soon.
Old Today, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

From my research for a dod delete cam for my 11 Yukon 5.3, you'll want to stay around 210 duration or less if you want a smoother idle and under 216-218ish to keep the low end at least stock. I have read about most of the off the shelf truck cams and looked at most of the graphs (including the one frequently talked about on here from CamMotion) and they really don't gain much (if anything) in the true low end rpms that most trucks drive daily in. Most seem to gain from about 2500 and up form what I have seen. I think a lot of the low end gains people see and feel when doing a cam like this is from having a real tune done afterwards.
Old Today, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
From my research for a dod delete cam for my 11 Yukon 5.3, you'll want to stay around 210 duration or less if you want a smoother idle and under 216-218ish to keep the low end at least stock. I have read about most of the off the shelf truck cams and looked at most of the graphs (including the one frequently talked about on here from CamMotion) and they really don't gain much (if anything) in the true low end rpms that most trucks drive daily in. Most seem to gain from about 2500 and up form what I have seen. I think a lot of the low end gains people see and feel when doing a cam like this is from having a real tune done afterwards.
I'm not too worried about idle, and seeing as it's hydraboost, not gonna get brake creep so the wife won't bitch no matter how choppy it is luckily. She likes muscle cars so that's not a big deal, nd it's already gonna have long tubes and custom 3" exhaust. I put alot of 212/218 .583 lift cams in , this is one I just did but was a LQ4.

The over/under speeds settings are -11/11 across the board bc he wanted it to chop hard but still be useable. -22/22 was waay choppy and the bed rails shook, I deemed that was too much for daily driving tho. It's got hydraboost (2500) so no brake creep at least.

I tune myself and I can make it idle about as smooth as stock or make it chop hard enuff it'll shake the bed of the truck. Hell I can make a stock cam chop lol.
I'm more worried about mpg for her, we are all over the place. She's gotta have power tho, she drives like a jackass just like I do so gotta be able to pass people at will, even if we are running 80 or so. I ended ordering a Elgin 1838 216/220 .560 114lsa. Hoping it'll do what I need, I'm counting on the 4.10s going to help down low a bit. The stage one isn't supposed to lose any down low torque or power.

Quick Reply: 08 Tahoe z71