Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Issues setting pinion angle and setting wheelbase

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2024, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Issues setting pinion angle and setting wheelbase

Trying to set my pinion angle in my fourth gen camaro. Need my pinion yoke to come down 2 degrees. Have a trick chassis 9", tunnel mounted torque arm, and hiem lcas. My problem is the adjuster on the torque arm is bottoming out before I get my desired angle at the pinion yoke. The rear seems to naturally sit with the yoke tipped way back as well as the spring perches. So when I crank the adjuster rod, I'm like loading the rear into the springs to correct that. Is that ok?

So, Is it normal to have to play with the lca length to get pinion angle set? Was told by trick to set wheel base first and that's currently dialed. I figured one would not effect the other because they said start there. I had the torque arm disconnected from the rear end and saw that the wheels are pushed back into the bumper. When I set the wheelbase,I had the lcas bottomed out and lengthened them evenly and an sitting at 101 5/16 both sides and I'm pleased with how the tires sit in the wheel opening.

Sorry for the long post First f body project

Last edited by Blakester60; 08-19-2024 at 06:23 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 146 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Blakester60
Trying to set my pinion angle in my fourth gen camaro. Need my pinion yoke to come down 2 degrees. Have a trick chassis 9", tunnel mounted torque arm, and hiem lcas. My problem is the adjuster on the torque arm is bottoming out before I get my desired angle at the pinion yoke. The rear seems to naturally sit with the yoke tipped way back as well as the spring perches. So when I crank the adjuster rod, I'm like loading the rear into the springs to correct that. Is that ok?

So, Is it normal to have to play with the lca length to get pinion angle set? Was told by trick to set wheel base first and that's currently dialed. I figured one would not effect the other because they said start there. I had the torque arm disconnected from the rear end and saw that the wheels are pushed back into the bumper. When I set the wheelbase,I had the lcas bottomed out and lengthened them evenly and an sitting at 101 5/16 both sides and I'm pleased with how the tires sit in the wheel opening.

Sorry for the long post First f body project
Take an angle measurement from the crank balancer, whatever that number is -2 is what your pinion should be set at. So say you got 6 degrees you'll set your rear at 4 degrees
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

It’s a pain in the ***** getting the LCAs at the correct length so u don’t bottom out the threads on the torque arm or exceed the threads provided.

if ur bottoming out the threads on ur torque arm, u need more length on the LCA. If ur pulling the threads out of the torque arm, u need to shorten ur LCAs.

after that u can find the correct angle.
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
It’s a pain in the ***** getting the LCAs at the correct length so u don’t bottom out the threads on the torque arm or exceed the threads provided.

if ur bottoming out the threads on ur torque arm, u need more length on the LCA. If ur pulling the threads out of the torque arm, u need to shorten ur LCAs.

after that u can find the correct angle.
Not really if you were smart enough to keep the stock LCAs around long enough
Old Today, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
Not really if you were smart enough to keep the stock LCAs around long enough
would work for stock height
Old Today, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
would work for stock height
And it'll work for lowered too. Mine is lowered 1.5" and I had ZERO problems getting my LCAs abs torque arm set right. You did something wrong

Quick Reply: Issues setting pinion angle and setting wheelbase