Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT Headers With GMMG Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2024, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Default LT Headers With GMMG Exhaust

Hey guys, hope you’re all doing well.

I’ve been thinking about adding LT headers 1 7/8 with a catted Y pipe to my 2002 T/A. I already have GMMG exhaust and lowering springs from BMR.

I’ve been doing some research about ground clearance so I don’t scrape and I’ve noticed that the majority of people who had issues was from the driver side cats when the car is lowered. I don’t wanna go catless because with the GMMG exhaust it’ll be raspy as hell.

I haven’t made up my mind about what brand to buy, I’ve been leaning towards ARH as their quality is second to none, but there are also some companies that offer them at a good price like TSP.

What do you guys think? Your suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BTW that’s the cheapest set I found from ARH on this site 👇 the rest of the sites have them between 1860 and 1960 USD

https://www.griggsracing.com/product...-01178300LSWC/
Old 08-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I’ve ran Kooks headers, with catted y-pipes, on my two lowered f-bodies and had no issues. One car had GMMG and was pretty loud. I like the Magnaflow exhaust on my current car.
The following users liked this post:
d-mob (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 01:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DUSTYWS6
I’ve ran Kooks headers, with catted y-pipes, on my two lowered f-bodies and had no issues. One car had GMMG and was pretty loud. I like the Magnaflow exhaust on my current car.
nice 👍 yeah kooks are awesome too but unfortunately above my budget because I have to take into consideration the shipping cost as I live overseas.
magnaflows tend to quite things down if your car is loud.
Old 09-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Just FYI, even with cats (ceramic brick type, not hi-flows), my GMMG was still intolerably loud with LT's. After trying additional remedies (powerstick, resonator tips) I finally ditched it and went with a Hooker Maxflow set up. Sounded great even with ORY and I've never looked back.
The following 2 users liked this post by RevGTO:
99Silver6.0 (Yesterday), wannafbody (Yesterday)
Old 09-04-2024, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Just FYI, even with cats (ceramic brick type, not hi-flows), my GMMG was still intolerably loud with LT's. After trying additional remedies (powerstick, resonator tips) I finally ditched it and went with a Hooker Maxflow set up. Sounded great even with ORY and I've never looked back.
Thank you for the above info, I have listened to a few cars that had GMMG with ARH LT headers and catted y pipe on YouTube and I really liked it, of course those videos don’t do it justice to how loud it will be in person. I wish I’d be able to listen to one in person to make up my mind but I live overseas in UAE 🇦🇪 and F body cars are really rare here.
Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

GMMG cat-less with LT's was WAY too much for me. I watched videos of 4th gen guys that added a Magnaflow 14419 resonator in the I pipe. It takes a bit of the edge off but the rasp is still very much there. Mine sounded like a machine gun from 2000-2400rpm so I avoided that RPM range at all costs. Before I went long tubes and no cats the GMMG was 100% perfect!!! The rasp and drone while cruising is why I took the GMMG off my car. I have tinnitus pretty bad in my left ear so Ive got to be careful any more. I even tried Corsa and it was even worse inside the car. A 30 minute drive had my ears ringing for a day or so. Back to Magnaflow I happily went!
d-mob (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
GMMG cat-less with LT's was WAY too much for me. I watched videos of 4th gen guys that added a Magnaflow 14419 resonator in the I pipe. It takes a bit of the edge off but the rasp is still very much there. Mine sounded like a machine gun from 2000-2400rpm so I avoided that RPM range at all costs. Before I went long tubes and no cats the GMMG was 100% perfect!!! The rasp and drone while cruising is why I took the GMMG off my car. I have tinnitus pretty bad in my left ear so Ive got to be careful any more. I even tried Corsa and it was even worse inside the car. A 30 minute drive had my ears ringing for a day or so. Back to Magnaflow I happily went!
thank you for sharing your experience brother, yeah I’m also trying to avoid the rasp and drone when going the LongTube route. Magnaflow is pretty quiet and tame for me, that’s why guys who have cammed their cars or got catless Y pipe get it, it just quiets everything down while keeping the HP.
99Silver6.0 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 856 Likes on 655 Posts

Several years ago I talked to someone who had longtubes, off road y pipe and GMMG and he said you couldn't even have a conversation in the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by wannafbody:
99Silver6.0 (Yesterday), d-mob (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Several years ago I talked to someone who had longtubes, off road y pipe and GMMG and he said you couldn't even have a conversation in the car.
Once I would get cruising about 75 on the highway my wife would plug her ears. It was loud and it got old!
The following 2 users liked this post by 99Silver6.0:
d-mob (Yesterday), wannafbody (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Once I would get cruising about 75 on the highway my wife would plug her ears. It was loud and it got old!
Damn 😮 I was just wondering….what kind of Headers and Y pipe came on the GMMG cars ? They just sound so awesome 😎
Old Today, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by d-mob
Damn 😮 I was just wondering….what kind of Headers and Y pipe came on the GMMG cars ? They just sound so awesome 😎
Not sure what was on the GMMG stuff. My car absolutely screamed up top! I do miss that growl but I dont miss the dam rasp or drone.
d-mob (Today)
Old Today, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Drone doesn't ever really bother me, except rare cases where the car has dumps under the cabin and I have to be inside the car for a long period at a specific droning rpm. But as long as it has tail pipes, this is not an issue in my case.

However, these guys are right about the rasp! This is a terrible sound, and it's a direct product of the ORY-pipe configuration. I have never experienced this kind of sound on a traditional true dual configuration (straight or H), but I have heard some ORX-pipe dual cars produce a similar sound (perhaps it was an inferior X-merge). It's an intolerable sound, like a Kazoo on crack.

Volume is subjective (what's too loud for one person can be just right for someone else), but rasp is an objectively bad sound IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
99Silver6.0 (Today), d-mob (Today)
Old Today, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

This is a horrid video. Its the only one I ever had of my GMMG/Madhammer setup with ARH headers and ORY.
Old Today, 02:05 PM
Launching!

This is a horrid video. Its the only one I ever had of my GMMG/Madhammer setup with ARH headers and ORY.
https://youtube.com/shorts/NpeBe-jXm...8xGaNgyKg_2jfw
thanks for sharing the video, you’re right about the rasp, it even sounds like an ORY pipe.

Quick Reply: LT Headers With GMMG Exhaust