Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 lm7 to 6.0

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 lm7 to 6.0

Hi there hoping to get some guidance on a build I am doing with my fj60. I recently purchased a fj60 with 5.3 lm7(carb legal swap, I am in cali) in it. The swap was done pretty poorly the motor, tranny, diffs and anything that can leak does. So I am going to pretty much do a full build on this rig and started looking at options.

I thought about going EROD ls3 but it seems you can't get those anymore and then started researching LT1 ERODs. LT1 EROD feels a bit more complicated than I want since I am going with tremec tr4050, it feels like I would be the tip of the spear with this kind of swap. It's been done before but not by many and not much info out there. Also seems like LT1 ERODS are not that available either.. Not sure but seems like GM might be discontinuing the EROD program.

From what I have read the EROD connect and cruise setup needs a VSS signal and the tremec tr4050 does not provide this. It just seems complicated to make the tranny speed signal work with the GM ECM, maybe it's not that complicated but definitely out of my pay grade. Input here would help?

This all kind of pushed me into the 6.0 route. I feel like for smog purposes the 6.0 would cover all my bases since its basically a 5.3 and can produce a fair amount of power while still keeping reliability.

What I need from the forum is some guidelines or assistance on what would be a great 6.0 set up? Build the 5.3? EROD( I did find one LT1 EROD available)? Or maybe some other input on what route to go?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 260 Likes on 199 Posts

Gen III 6.0l would be an easier swap.
The following 2 users liked this post by the_merv:
CDM1386 (Yesterday), G Atsma (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the gen III 6.0l called? LQ9?

Thanks
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by CDM1386
What is the gen III 6.0l called? LQ9?

Thanks
The standard version used in many heavy duty trucks was the LQ4.
The LQ9 was a higher compression version used in Escalades and others as a premium version.

Quick Reply: 5.3 lm7 to 6.0