Single Digit Club Running 9s or quicker? Damn!

BBC in 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made up these pics about a year ago. See if you agree with them.

It seems very logical to add braces here and here, but the firewall is not very strong.

Any idea how I can make the firewall stronger to act as a structural support
without cracking the windshield? I'm trying not to gut the dash out, but I might have to pull everything out, do all my welding and then put it back in. If you know of an easier way, let me know.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They make a strut tower brace that ties into the fire wall it forms a triangle.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RAGENZ28
They make a strut tower brace that ties into the fire wall it forms a triangle.
Those suck.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Then redesign it it and build your own... You can always run the front cage bars through the engine compartment and through the shock towers. You don't need a whole cage inside the car you could just run a bar straight across under the dash welded to each side of the body.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

What do you think of this idea?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check out this pic of the CTS-V race car. Remember, the front wheel wells are raised and the front of the car lowered a huge amount. I figure they may have had to raise the inner shock towers as well. Check out the braces they use. Now that looks sweet.
Attached Thumbnails BBC in 4th gen-cts-vwc.jpg  
Old 05-19-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

I meant like this.
Attached Thumbnails BBC in 4th gen-front-mod.jpg  
Old 05-19-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I meant like this.
There's not a lot of room to weld the bar on the drivers side. I'll have to look into it more.

I've thought about this:

I made these up before I decided to relocate the battery and other parts and before I decided to tub the front wheels.

Here's another car with a fabbed up front section.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-19-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Are you cutting off the rear section of the shock tower? If not I would just run a bar to the back of the shock tower and call it good.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are you cutting off the rear section of the shock tower?
I don't see any reason to. I'm really not sure why you cut yours. Does it give you more room?

BTW, there are electric PS pumps ($300) if you want to keep your rack, but not the engine mounted pump. I'm thinking of getting one myself and also run it to a hydraboost brake system. Then I can have power steering and power brakes with the engine off. Big cam making low vacuum? No problemo. Engine dies going down the road, no sweat.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I don't see any reason to. I'm really not sure why you cut yours. Does it give you more room?

BTW, there are electric PS pumps ($300) if you want to keep your rack, but not the engine mounted pump. I'm thinking of getting one myself and also run it to a hydraboost brake system. Then I can have power steering and power brakes with the engine off. Big cam making low vacuum? No problemo. Engine dies going down the road, no sweat.
I'm getting manual brakes and steering, with a good manual rack and skinnies the front wheel is easy to turn even from a dead stop.

I cut out the rear of my shock tower to save weight and give me more room, I could always mount a turbo on each side right there also if I went that route down the road.

Either way right now it was for weight and gives more room to work on the engine, I may or may not go with a removable front end, if I did working on the car with the extra metal removed makes it a snap to get to the spark plugs.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too late I already cut out the fire wall I don't care if it is super fast, I just want a bad *** pro street looking setup I can drive everyday of the week, plus putting the smash for a quick 300 ft at a stop light on some ricer would be great every now and then =)
Ragen I had a question since I saw you live in California..... How are you going to drive this thing everyday of the week presumably on the street without it being smogged..... Just cause you pro street it doesn't mean it's suddenly smog exempt..... So I'm wondering how you are getting around that.... Or is it not going to be a tagged/reg'd streetcar????
Old 05-20-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FLIP THROUGH THE PAGES OF THIS SITE. PAUL'S A GOOD GUY AND BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR AWHILE NOW. THE OWNER OF THE SHOP, TOM, DOES GREAT WORK...

http://www.otedesign.com/gallery/index.php?a=10
Old 05-21-2008, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Ragen I had a question since I saw you live in California..... How are you going to drive this thing everyday of the week presumably on the street without it being smogged..... Just cause you pro street it doesn't mean it's suddenly smog exempt..... So I'm wondering how you are getting around that.... Or is it not going to be a tagged/reg'd streetcar????
It'll have tags and be licensed, pretty sure it won't pass smog My last car wasn't street legal, 33x16.5 slicks, and lexan windows isn't exactly dot approved. I have my old motor I could say was in it when it was "smogged" if I get popped.

By the way are you going to the LA Invasion? I'll be at the Monday memorial day drag racing in Fontana.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slow Z28
FLIP THROUGH THE PAGES OF THIS SITE. PAUL'S A GOOD GUY AND BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR AWHILE NOW. THE OWNER OF THE SHOP, TOM, DOES GREAT WORK...

http://www.otedesign.com/gallery/index.php?a=10
Cool car thanks for the link
Old 05-21-2008, 02:17 AM
Teching In

Nice project! Gotta love the BBC.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Addict

I let all the pro charger and turbo cars go fast, I just want to make it down the track under 14 seconds my 1st pass with the 598 BBC nitrous motor I'm gonna build
Old 05-21-2008, 02:30 AM
Teching In

:haha: under 14! I don't think that'll be a problem!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

I've seen people crash or blow their stuff up 1st pass out Foot brake and make sure the wheels don't fall off is all I am doing first pass and check all the nuts and bolts and look for any extra leaks lol

I took my 1st car to the track 3 or 4 times before I even sprayed it.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:32 PM
9 Second Club

It'll have tags and be licensed, pretty sure it won't pass smog My last car wasn't street legal, 33x16.5 slicks, and lexan windows isn't exactly dot approved. I have my old motor I could say was in it when it was "smogged" if I get popped
Well be careful cuz that's like a 2500 dollar ticket..... and a lifetime membership to the smog **** club...

By the way are you going to the LA Invasion? I'll be at the Monday memorial day drag racing in Fontana
It's quite a haul for me on short notice and i've been taking a ton of time off of work with OTHER car stuff getting the car finished. I hit the dyno for final tuning on friday at noon so honestly the car isn't ready to make full passes until a few weeks. I'd hate to trailer to LA to make "shakedown" runs. If I go to LA it's going to be ALL OUT.... so i'll have to wait....

Quick Reply: BBC in 4th gen