Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

86 IROC hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 IROC hard to start

A buddy of mine reciently bought an 86 IROC with a 305, and it takes him about 30 minuets to start it up when the temp drops below 80 outside. when he bought the car, the egr pipes on the pass. side had all been cut and crimped. I've heard this engine has a cold start feature, and was wondering if it could be the egr making it hard to start, or the cold start is fubar
Old 02-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Hmmm Thats weird I never heard of that happening before...... POS Thirdgens lol jk
Old 02-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Teching In

I used to have the same problem. I doubt it's your EGR.

Next time it does that, crack open the TB and shoot in some starting fluid AFTER the MAF and see if it wants to start. Of course, it wont want to run well if at all without the MAF on so keep that in mind.

Alot of times, people get these cars and put junkyard ECM's in and then dont change the PROM with the right one for the model/engine/year...I've seen where cold start wouldnt work before because the car had an 87 computer and PROM but it was an '89(PROM programmed for cold start injector but the engine didnt have one) so if the above doesnt work, try checking the number on the PROM to make sure it is correct. This will cause horrible starting issues, but will run great otherwise.

This could also be the engines way of asking for a tune up, or you might have a fuel pressure issue as well. If you keep having problems, also check to see if you keep fuel pressure for at least a couple minutes, key on engine off, after the initial fuel pump prime.

That should get you on your way and help narrow it down...

Quick Reply: 86 IROC hard to start