Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Airplane Gas????

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009 | 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I would use the hell out of it if i was spraying the engine.
NO! we tried that with a big shot kit and damn near killed the car. When we hit the button it shut the car off almost and when it did ignite the mufflers looked like watermelons!We went back to spraying on 93 octane.It is formulated with de-icer for high altitude operation and even though the octane is higher it responds differently.
Old 05-14-2009 | 06:14 PM
Teching In

Default airplane gas

AV gas is designed to burn at 10,000 feet and above, you wont see any benefit with it, and probably get a lean condition since there is more air down this low
Old 05-25-2009 | 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blubyou02
AV gas is designed to burn at 10,000 feet and above, you wont see any benefit with it, and probably get a lean condition since there is more air down this low
No problem with lean conditions, there are many unpressurized low altitude aircraft running 100LL. The main problem lies within the tetraethyl lead and it's tendency to cause valve sticking. I would not suggest running it unless it was absolutely necessary.
Old 05-26-2009 | 09:03 PM
On The Tree

im thinking about giving it a try but just mixing some marvel mystery oil in with it....ppl ive talked to say that will stop the lead build up in the engine.guess ill try it for a lil while and see how the plugs look after awhile
Old 05-29-2009 | 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

IF you're going to run AVGAS and want your engine to live i suggest this, Marvel probably won't help much(better for carbon deposits)

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...additives.html

IDK it just doesn't seem worth it to me, you may run into problems with lead fowling of the spark plugs, valve sticking,and lead deposits can form hot spots which can cause preiginition(ironic huh).

Quick Reply: Airplane Gas????