Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

issues with 91 305 caprice

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 02:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default issues with 91 305 caprice

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this, but this is the most knowledgable forum i know of. so here goes.

I have a 91 Caprice LO3 305 tbi w/ 142k... This car has meticulous maintenance records. Everything just about has been replaced. Since I acquired this car about 2 weeks/ 60 miles ago, I have put a new knock sensor, wires, fuel filter,I have some plugs to put in it tommorrow. had it timed. but no matter what something does not seem right with it.
the egr valve compresses without sticking, throttle body is clean, injectors spray looks good, vacuum lines all look good, new 02 sensor, new starter, intake gasket was replaced last year, cap and rotor were replaced at some time, they didnt look bad,

it stalls and pings, under a load while in gear. I was told the timing chain is "probably" stretched by the mechanic that timed it. he was saying the timing mark was jumping around 8*. I took off the distributor cap and turned the crank by hand to see if the rotor was spinning right with the crank and it was fine there was no noticable lag between the two not even a hair off.

the best way to describe starting it, is it hiccups and if i give it a very light pedal it will start after several attempts. I have no idea what else to throw at this car. if anyone has any suggestions please let me know i want to blow this car up.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Teching In

wow.....
Old 11-16-2009, 11:42 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

A carb and intake is the answer you need maybe. I have converted every TBI car i have ever owned to a carb setup to cure problems that would just make no since.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Teching In

it had the wrong plugs in it. put the new ones in and it runs way better but it still bucks and stalls when you give it more than 1/2 throttle but not all the time. i also replaced the coolant temp sensor with a small change. maybe its fuel related. i'm gonna get a junkyard throttle body to swap on. see what happens. starting it also sucks the starter chugs like the timing is off or something.

Quick Reply: issues with 91 305 caprice