Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

632 Big Block Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:02 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
Sort of true, the 632 is a tall deck (10.2) truck motor base where as a typical BBC is a short deck (9.8). This makes a difference with header options and would provide less clearance for the carb on a given intake manifold (most likely a single plane).

The 598 would probably be a better bet considering it uses (or can use) a short deck.

Most knowledgeable racers stopped using a 10.2 for 632's. They use the 10.4 or ??
The 632" for years was squeezed into a 10.2 block because that's what was available.
Also they had nothing to do with a truck based block.
They were based on a modern big bore aftermarket block, like when the GM bowtie race block came out.
No stock truck block ever had 4.600 bore or 4.750 stroke.
Back to the point, he asked about moving the frame, the deck has nothing to do with the frame,
all 4.84's are the same width.

Also, most knowledgeable racers would never build a 598" short deck.
582" is the common big bore short deck.

Oh yea, here is one of my engines, 582" so I know a little about the subject.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:07 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Here's a different one of my engines, also a short deck, big bore block.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Well I guess Scott Shafiroff isn't too knowledgeable considering his ultra street 632 still uses a 10.2 deck and his 598 package uses a 9.8 deck.

And by "truck block" I meant simply the deck heights and bore spacings, not actual production blocks.

But yes you are correct, it has nothing to do with the frame, just the engine plate, headers, intake clearance, that's all nothing major.

And yes, you are correct with the production blocks not having that large of a bore or stroke, however a bowtie can, as well as a dart block.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

There is a huge difference between a non-optimal combination being offered to fit a certain niche
and what the same builder would recommend. There are thousands of cars out there already set up
for a 10.2 or 9.8 block, and they are willing to stay with it so their headers, scoop, clearances, ect. are the same.
Scott even makes a point to advertise he has a 598" short deck.
He is going for one specific kind of guy, and will probably not be his 1st choice in his personal car.
Will it last as long, no. It's still going to have the same issues that combination always had,
and why most knowledgeable guys stick with a 582". Just because you can do something,
doesn't mean you should, and just ignore the inherit problems.

Again, the ?? was about the frame, I mentioned and others mentioned other issues he will have to deal with.
Nobody said anything about other the issues not being major, minor, easy or difficult.
That's not the ?? being asked or answered.

I will correct one statement. Most knowledgeable racers don't purposely build a bad combination,
unless other issues mandate a compromise. I would much rather use a 4.800 piston,
but since it will crack the block the 1st time it's fired. I compromise and use a 4.600.
I would love to use a 5.300 crank in my short deck, since it will never clear. I compromise and use a 4.375.

Hope this is a little clearer, my statements stand. I would never use a 10.2 632" or a 9.8 598".
That's my 2 cents, and nothing derogatory against those that think otherwise.

There are several companies offering big bore model's. I used the bowtie as an example only.
It was one of, if not the original big inch 4.84 block available. I never said it was the only on.
Obviously everyone knows Dart, Merlin, Brodix, Donovan, New Century ect ect makes that block.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on that 100% (I'm not on my 1st, 2nd, 5th or 7th BBC build), that's why my BBCs of choice are either 540ci,555ci or a 565ci on a short deck (not really a fan of the tall deck). I was just pointing out options since the shafiroff or motown was mentioned as a crate. I only brought up the 598ci because it's about as big as you can go within the confines of a 9.8 deck. Although, my next full race BBC will either be an aftermarket short deck or a DRCE block (I'm going with 500-565ci).
Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Just because you can squeeze 632 cu in out of a 10.2 block or 598 cu in out of a 9.8 block doesn't mean it is a good idea especially in a street car largely because of the wear and tear on the internals. Do we have to get into rod ratios and piston speed etc? You should always try to keep your rods as long as possible. If you are really confined to a 9.8 deck height than a 532 might be your best bet to keep the life expectancy and revability up.

Thats a nice looking big chief, tunnel ram 582. But then again i think anything with a tunnel ram is cool, esp. a big block. I'm jealous, i wish i had the bore to run those heads.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly the reason why I'd do a MAX of a 565 on a short deck. If I were going to go 600ci+ I'd do a 10.6 deck Dart block punched to 625ci. Although, I've always wanted a 11.1 deck 734ci monster on the street.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
Exactly the reason why I'd do a MAX of a 565 on a short deck.
This is what I have always been told for Big blocks. My local group of hot rodders like to stick with 540's for street motors. I'm the only odd ball in my group with a big displacement small block.

With that being said I'd love to have an all Aluminum 632 race motor.

~Jim~
Old 02-27-2010, 12:26 AM

well obivously im not a professional so if the 632 would be way to much work with the twin turbos then i probably head a different way, what would be a good engine to start with because i am looking for a lot of horsepower and torque, cuz not only is it a project but i do want it as like a "toy" where i can go out and have loads of fun in it, which does include blowing people away when i take off, and i have thought about just redoing the ls1 already in but i would looking for even more that but i do what something that is plausible enough for me to do, i mean i do have a buddy whos good with cars but he got tired of my questions so that is why im here, and if the 10.2 that the 632 causes way to much trouble then i have no problem going a little lower and just have everything work together a bit easier, because i am not, and don't really have access (or funds) to pay a professional to do this
Old 02-27-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Big power, big inches, builder friendly, streetable, 502, 509, 540. Plus the Gen VI is a roller motor and you wont have to do a retrofit. Or you could even do a Gen VI 454 base engine for simplicity and it would drop the cost quite a bit. Keep clear of the Gen VII (Vortec 8.1) they are the oddballs, Mark IV and Gen VI are the ways to go, Gen V is alright but you have to use a certain gasket to run Mark IV heads and then the fit may be a little funny.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:46 AM

is there a way i could match like a 532 with a LSX 454? i would like but put twin turbos on it, and again its going to be a street car but i would like it to be one that no matter what car i pull up to, ill be able to blow it away, and if the 454 can do that, thats fine, it was just like a exteme dream to have that horse power and once it was pointed out all the problems that this could cause and then not last long and even could rip my chassis up, it will probably be best to not use a 632, and i would also like to get some input on what yall think the best exhaust would be, the best intake, turbos, boost, i know it seems like im helpless but i just like to get some third party opinions so i know im on the right track to a really amazing car
Old 02-27-2010, 02:56 AM
ZV8
12 Second Club

forget the BBC in a 4th gen, your a noob, just get heads and matching cam for the LS1 like everyone else.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:07 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Ok, now we have the real story. Sorry, but this dream of yours is never going to happen,
and everyone is just wasting their time. None of this is possible without unlimited funding,
which you just said you don't have. None of this is doable, practical, or drivable on the street.

If by some miracle you could buy all this, and actually get it in the car and running.
You will rip the car in half. There is no frigging way in hell, as I mentioned,
you could put all this in anything less than a professionally designed and built chassis.

How does anyone expect a big inch, 3/4" arm, stock chassis, and tiny frigging tires to work together.
He would spend all this money, he does not even have,
and then have to choke all the power out of it to get out of the driveway!!

Torque is some badass stuff. Torque is what rips u-joints apart, twists axles, snaps input shafts ect.

Everyone got all excited about some cool *** project. Now that he finally answered my ??
we can all move on to something that actually has a chance of ever happening.
This is never going to happen. He doesn't have the money,
he doesn't have the knowledge or skill to do it himself. This is a dream, just another internet dream.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

The LSX 454 from GMPP is kind of pricey. If you're looking to make some big, feasible, horsepower, look into building a 6.0 base iron block truck motor with L92 heads and an L76 intake (or go carbed). Simple, fairly inexpensive, and can make some big power. Best of all, it'll drop were the LS1 was without going with a full-tube chassis.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Agreed. Just play with the ls1 that's in it for now and if some day in the future you still want to go turbo you may want to consider sticking with the motor you have. Because of the LS1 being softer down low it may actually run faster on the street because it will come on more gradually and not just be a tire burner and it will be much easier on the rest of the car.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:14 AM
Teching In

You can fit a 632 and twins into a fourth gen NOT a problem.

Having power that you can beat anything on the street well.. your getting into a whole diff dept then.
You are going to have alot of issues hooking up on the street with real power. (not talking 5-700hp)

Not having money.. this is all moot.

If your going to stay turbo themed its not so much having the biggest cubic inch motor its making your system work for you.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:08 PM

Ok would it fit better in a 92 camaro looking to start and get motor next yr looking for both track and street car I know 632 I can get with 800 horses but wanna add turbonetics y2k 88 J&m then is should get about 15-2000 horsepower on pump gas any help will b needed my biggest issue is what tires to get and what roll cage should I get also need tranny help
Old 12-19-2015, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Nothing wrong with dreams. Dreams will start you down the road of learning something your interested in. Budget will lead you to two options, fi ls or na bbc. Before deciding you need to determine whether the car will be stick or auto, and determine what kind of power your rear diff can handle. If you choose a stick/t56 your limit is about 700tq.

I'm building a 68 Corvette L88 style car with modern components. I had to build a destroked bbc to keep the power down for my T56 and my super 10 bolt rear diff. The engine made 810/666, came in under the wire, lol.

Do a bbc 468, good power for cheap. Turbo it in the future.

Quick Reply: 632 Big Block Chevy