Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Estimated HP and Future mods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Estimated HP and Future mods?

Alright so i've built myself a 355 sbc and put it in a nissan 240sx.

Let the flaming begin.

anyway, i was wondering if anyone could help me estimate HP. its not street legal yet, and the nearest dyno is far away, so i cant dyno it. Also i was wondering if anyone had recommendations as to what i should change, or upgrade down the road.

Im hoping for a mid range powerband, and around 400hp at the flywheel, more later if possible.

Here's what i've got so far:

Engine:
high nickel 010 block bored .030 over
350 rotating assembly with forged crank
keith black flattop pistons w/ 4 valve relief
arp bolts
summit racing 1106 cam
cloyes double roller timing gears and chain
air gap dual plane intake
461 heads ported and polished
with 1.6 roller tip rockers and 2.02/1.60 valves and comp double springs
underdrive pulleys
only water pump and alternator, no other accessories
custom 1.75" mid length headers
edelbrock 750 mech carb.
summit Hei distributor with summit big wires.
billet steel 17lb flywheel
all through true dual 2.5" exhaust back to single chambers

also i have a steel shim .015 thick (i think) head gasket. this was a recommendation by a friend, because he said my piston down bore should be about .025. my block was not decked more than .005 it was good shape to begin with, what do you guys think?

chris

Last edited by qwarnon; 03-17-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like youre on par with your goal, what kind of transmission and rear ?

also, no flaming allowed on a project like that who can argue with a SBC in a go kart?! any pictures?
Old 03-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Teching In

lol so many nissan guys flame it, cause "its not JDM tyte yo!" there's' no turbo on that boat anchor!

anyway

its a t56 with the stock 240sx rear with limited slip for now its a 4.08 rear gear

the rear will handle the power, the axles may not. but there are lots of swaps to fix that. such as the rear end/axles from infinity q45's or from 300zx's
Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by qwarnon
lol so many nissan guys flame it, cause "its not JDM tyte yo!" there's' no turbo on that boat anchor!

anyway

its a t56 with the stock 240sx rear with limited slip for now its a 4.08 rear gear

the rear will handle the power, the axles may not. but there are lots of swaps to fix that. such as the rear end/axles from infinity q45's or from 300zx's
lmfao no turbo just means 1 less thing to go wrong

you shouldnt have any problems reaching your goal and even if you dont quite make it, the light weight should keep the car movin pleeenty fast.

are you going to race the car in anything specific or is it just a project?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Teching In

well its just a project, but ill definitely go down the strip a few times. and probably do some track as well.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

Sweet project! You should hit your goal horsepower in the right area too. I bet that car is sick as hell! Pictures please.. nothing wrong with putting a SBC in a nissan(at least to me).. i want to put a LS engine in a datsun one day and make it for road racing ha..
Old 03-18-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fwiw i don't think you'll get much more than 400 hp out of a 350/355 cid on pump gas, unless you up the compression and run higher octane. And you said mid range power band, I believe your setup with a 234/234 cam and 1-3/4 headers is not going to give you a "mid range" power band but for the car it's in I don't think it'll matter that much; the dual-plane intake will help with the mid-range at least as opposed to a single plane. As long as you have a good compression ratio, hopefully greater than 9.5 and near 10 for 93 octane fuel, it should all work well and get you very close to 400hp at the flywheel.

Quick Reply: Estimated HP and Future mods?