Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

What to do about exhaust????

Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What to do about exhaust????

I just got my 80' T/A 454 BBC running and now I need an exhaust system. It originally came with straight pipes running off the manifolds into two Flowmaster chambered mufflers dumped. I just purchased some long tubes and now need the piping staightened out. Do I run straight, X, or H pipe and to which mufflers. It is very rowdy for being open headers right now. I want it rowdy and loud but not this rowdy...............
Old 05-05-2010, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get some Moroso Spiral flows. I have them slipped over my headers with nothing else and it quiets the car significantly. My friend's stock ls1 with a loud mouth is way louder than my car.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Would not recommend that for a BBC car...^^^^^

I'd go with an x-pipe from the headers, into two 1 chamber flowmaster if you want loud aggressive sound, or two 2 chamber 40 series flows with piping over the rear and dumped after the rearend into those original looking tips that the smokey and the bandit cars came with.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd avoid the flowmasters and get Dynomax Ultrflo or straight through Magnaflows. I think the Flowmasters will be louder, with a little loss in performance. Of course, I have flowmasters on my BBC, so I should have taken my own advice!!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pancherj
I'd avoid the flowmasters and get Dynomax Ultrflo or straight through Magnaflows. I think the Flowmasters will be louder, with a little loss in performance. Of course, I have flowmasters on my BBC, so I should have taken my own advice!!
Haha, nice.

Yea I agree that those magnaflows, or even a dynomax bullet will give ya more power, flowmasters just have that aggressive musclecar sound on a BBC car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to do about exhaust????