Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Belt Squeek

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Belt Squeek

Hi all,
SBC question. I have a 305 in a Ford Roadster. Long and short, I had to replace the alternator. Now there are only 3 pullys on this engine, Alt, Water pump and crank. The belts on it are the thin V style belts. Once I replaced the alt, I put it back together. The only way I could tell to make the belt taunt was to adjust the alt in a way to take the slack out. Its nice and tight and about 50% of the time, the belt squeels horribly. The alt is new, water pump bearing is good, belt is good........I am at a loss.

Anyone with any suggestions? I want to stay away from dressings and all.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried puttin belt dressing or wax on the belt?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The belt might be to thin and riding on the bottom of the groove.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I want to stay away from dressings as the engine compartment is small and would be murder to clean once that stuff gets slung all over the place.

The belt is the same one that was on the application before I had to have the alt rebuilt.

I wish I knew more about it, but its a custom build that my late father did. It would be easier to ask him if he had this issue when he built it, but a little hard to do now, so I have to work with what I got.

Throwing this out there. The alt pulley and the water pump pulleys are chrome. Is there anything special that needs to be done with them? Also I have heard of the pulleys getting a glaze on them over the course of time from the belts. How would one remove this glaze?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a candle on it. With the motor running, rub a candle on the inside of the belt. The areas that meet the pullies. It will quiet a belt down like dressing, without slingin stuff everywhere.

Quick Reply: Belt Squeek