Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

468 cooling question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 468 cooling question

I've made a few threads about this car. It's definitely giving us some problems haha. The biggest (and final) issue now is keeping the car cool. We have done everything we can think of.

The last thing I can think to do would be to put a fan on the inside and outside of the radiator. Is there really any benefit to doing this? We have a single 2200cfm fan on there now. We have a 1500cfm fan left that we can put on the other side of the radiator. I just wanted to check with you guys before I go doing something that could make the problem worse.

We have taken the fog lights out, and are soon going to have the black plastic cut from the nose of the car. We are going to put some sort of grill in place of it. But that isn't an option as of right now, runnin outta money.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of car?

Every time I changed an engine out in my Pontiac, the rust from the cooling passages in the engine I put in would clog up the radiator.

Do you have thermostat or restrictor plate?

What year is the block? Some later models had thin cylinder walls.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you are having all the same problems that I had.
I'm guessing it's a fourth gen since you said removed the fog lights and cut the plastic bumper.

Here's what finally solved my problems:

* Added a filler neck thermostat housing with two threaded holes drilled in the back.

* Added two 6AN lines from the back of the intake manifold to the threaded holes in thermostat housing

* Added a 27.5 X 19 X 3.25 radiator

* Added a dual 11" fan puller with aluminum shroud from Griffin

* Added a 55 gpm electric water pump in place of the 35 gpm

* raised the radiator when burping the car the first time.

* Added water wetter (I don't think this did anything)

* Removed the fog lights and cut the opening of the bumper

* Placed the trans cooler under the bumper with it's own fan so it did not block any of the flow to the radiator.

This resulted in a cruising temp of 165-180 all day. It took a lot of trial and error (and money!!!!!) but thats what worked for me. There is a lot of mis information out there about how to keep SBC or BBC cool in these cars.

Good luck,

~Jim~
Old 09-21-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

What do you consider running Hot?

Hell 228* is when my fans stock would kick on from the factory. Changed now but still it was normal.

I dont worry unless its nearing 220+
Old 09-21-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

We are currently at this step of our build mounting the radiator and fans. I'm using the griffin rad. That all the ls turbo guys are using with dual pusher fans. My problem is going to be I have alot of block fill so we shall see how it goes. I am using a moroso elec. Wp.

Quick Reply: 468 cooling question