Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Mild Milkshake

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:32 AM
D79
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Mild Milkshake

I have a freshly built SBC with less than 25 miles on the motor.

The car does not have a hood and when I washed the car a few days ago the engine got a bit of water on it. I wiped it all down and drove the car around. I let the car idle and get to about 180 degrees before shutting it down. After it cooled down I pulled the valve covers off to check the valve lash. I had a bit of milk shake on both ends of each valve cover, so above 1-2 and 7-8. It was not on the rocker arms, there was no signs of oil in the radiator, and the oil in the pan looked good. It is just on the valve covers. I do not have the PCV hooked up yet. I have had the valve covers off several times before since it has been running and they have been clean.

Condensation?
Fresh motor breaking in?
Water from the wash slipped inside?
or does the top end have to come off?

Thanks for the advice
Old 12-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hook the PCV up and let it get good and hot, sounds like normal condensation to me.Without any type of vacuum on the crankcase you will have that problem.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:41 PM
D79
On The Tree

I hooked the PCV valve and let it warm up to about 170 degrees and drove down the street to the transmission shop. I should get the car back in a couple days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like normal condensation, i had this happen to my 355. i popped off the valve covers once every 3 weeks or so and it was there.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 AM
D79
On The Tree

Just an update. I hooked up the pcv valve and let the car get hot. I pulled the valve cover off and the milk shake was barely there. Only about the size of a quarter in two corners.

Quick Reply: Mild Milkshake