Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

What will porting my intake do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What will porting my intake do?

Alright everyone, Ive got a sbc358"(info in my sig). I have a set of vortec heads that are ported and polished, I was wondering what would happen if I was to port my intake? My intake is just a dual plane, much like the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake but without the price tag
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Default Intake Manifold

Get rid of the Chinese copy, buy a manifold that will make some torque & power and save your grinding tools. Manifolds are really tricky to port without messing them up. Get a GM#12496822 and it will take you to 550 HP without porting. You can go cheaper and try anything else on the market but I have already done that for other folks many times over the past 10 years since Vortecs have come out.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Teching In

I dont think that it will fit under my hood to be honest with you. I was just wondering if I was to port match it if I would gain anything.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could definately find more power in the manifold you have.

My advice would be to keep it conservative and not get crazy. Only gasket match (if that much) on the runners while trying to keep them all even. The plenum is where you wanna do the majority of your work by smoothing and bullnoseing all rough edges. Even the devider piece in the middle. When it comes down to it all intakes are rather just pot metal. I myself have had two professional products manifolds with great sucess. Only downfall is the amount of porting it takes to get them straightened out. Lol.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

guy i know that builds a lot of performance engine told me the important thing is that the bottom of the ports need to match up(heads to intake). check that. i would recommend u gasket match and clean up the rough stuff.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Instead of gasket matching, I prefer to use the following method:
1. Get some thin cardboard or posterboard cut out to the outside shape of the gaskets to make templates.
2. Cut out the bolt holes so that you can bolt them to your heads.
3. Use a razor knife to carefully cut ports in your templates to the exact size and shape of your head ports. Make sure you mark them for L & R.
4. Now bolt them to your intake and use them to scribe where you need to port it to match.

This is called port matching (versus gasket matching) and gives the best results. If you gasket match your intake, you could very well end up with ports in it that are larger than your head ports which causes reversion and poor flow. Worse than if you had ran your intake out of the box.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

agreed...i like to match my heads ports and intake ports to my gasket, but your method makes alot of sense
Old 03-14-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by newschool72
agreed...i like to match my heads ports and intake ports to my gasket, but your method makes alot of sense
I should have thrown in there that this is the way I do it when the heads are still on the car & I'm not about to pull them. LOL

Quick Reply: What will porting my intake do?