Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

broken poly lock

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken poly lock

I was replacing the valve cover gasket on my 96 S10 4.3 and right before I put the cover back on I decided to just make sure all the locks are tight. 4 of them are. two broke right off with no effort at all.

I'm mad and confused at the same time. Because it's taken so much time to get them adjusted perfectly, and secondly I take this truck all over the east coast towing and I cant go having **** like this break and leave me stranded. I put the adjustable rockers on at 115k. truck now has 301,000. So they have 186,000 miles on them, and some have been hard I will admit it. But this is unacceptable. These are comp parts and I always felt good about putting their parts in my vehicles. Not so much anymore. Any idea what could have happened?

Old 10-30-2012, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You over tightened the set screw when you were adjusting the valves. If you tighten the set screw and the nut at the same time, don't over exert it. It is a common problem. I have done it myself. Get the biggest diameter poly lock that you can get that fits inside of the rocker.

Quick Reply: broken poly lock