Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

SBC Cam upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014 | 09:51 PM

Default SBC Cam upgrade

Hi, my name is Jeff. New here and fairly new to the sbc. Just grew a huge interest in cars within the last 8 years. Been upgrading my vehicle over span of 4 years. Looking for some feedback on some upgrades I am planning. Vehicle is a 81 Trans Am. TH350 trans. Hughes GM25 stall. 3.23 posi. Stock suspension. Motor is a 385 sbc stroker. Flat top pistons with valve relief. Intake is an edelbrock rpm air gap. Currently have holley 670 avenger. Heads are aluminum 215 runners 64cc 2.02 1.60 not sure od the flow numbers or the actual brand. They are a cheap set I picked up. They have double springs rated for 600 lift. Planning to do a retro hrydraulic roller. Picked up some howards hyrdraulic retro lifters. Howard rev kit comp cam 12-450-8 cam. It has 560/560 lift 230 duration. 7.300 push rods 1.5 roller rockers. Estimate i was given was between 10-10.5:1 compression. This will be a.weekend hot rod. Running power brakes. My question is, Do my parts appear to match well? Should the motor make good power? Any estimates on HP?
Old 04-11-2014 | 11:26 AM
Launching!

Parts don't look too bad. That may be a bit too much cam for 3.23 gears and a 2500 stall (especially in a heavy car). But it will work. What wont work is purchasing push rods without first installing the cam an measuring. Bad to assume the 7.300 rods are correct. Also, the springs on the heads may be insufficient or overkill for the cam. You need someone with a spring tester to tell you what the force is at installed height and at full open. I like to use the beehive springs with a titanium retainer.

Quick Reply: SBC Cam upgrade