Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Help me pick a path

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Help me pick a path

I currently have a 68 Firebird with a 73 454 and TH350. The person I bought the car from had no clue as to what was done before him, so I have been working on ID'ing what I am working with. So far I have the following:

Cam of some sort, appears to be flat tappet with hydraulic lifters
049 Heads
Harland Sharp roller rockers
Holley Street Dominator low rise intake (Old school part number #300-3 701R-3)
Holley 800CFM double pumper (List 6213)
2 inch unknown brand headers

I had the car on a Mustang chassis dyno and it made 297whp/411wtq so I am assuming the cam isn't very aggressive (has a nice lope though) and its a low compression smogger.

I was thinking about swapping the motor for an aluminum 5.3/4.8 LS motor with a carb for now. The pros to me are:

Reliability
Gas Mileage
Weight
Same HP?

I'm looking for open opinions on whether I should keep the BBC and start researching a build for that (H/C/I etc..) or if I should just move to the more modern technology and use that as a base for a build.

The car is a weekend cruiser/warrior, will see the track maybe 5 times a year. Budget is the same for both, $4000.

Any and all input is welcome!
Old 06-13-2018, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

I'd h/c/i the BBC. I love LS swaps, but also absolutely love a good built BB. My brother has a 80 leman's wagon with a built iron headed 496 in the 600hp range, does 11's in the quarter, is totally streetable and gets mid teen's mileage wise when we take it to cruisn' OC with a TH400 and 3.5x's in the 9inch. 4k will go a long way with what you currently have, especially if you scour swap meets and classified ad's. The LS swap you'd need a hand full of swap parts, ignition controller, headers/new exhaust, swap torque converter/flex plate, wiring, motor mounts, hoses, possibly a radiator, misc fittings and hardware, the engine, then you'll probably want to put a cam in it while it's on the engine stand, and re seal it just to be sure. Swaps tend to snowball, even seemingly simple ones.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed... no replacement for displacement... especially seeing you're on a tight budget!! $4k will go a long way to build a BBC that you already own VS buying and modifying an LS... the LS stuff is modern and cool but more costly as BBC parts are everywhere!!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thread.

Quick Reply: Help me pick a path