Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Blower Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blower Thread

I figured I would start a BBC blower thread. I am making this thread in regards to this one here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=180893&page=2 I was asking this guy a question: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=25 Because of what he said, he said if you plan on building a BBC stay away from centrifugal's. I was wondering why, I replied to that question but no answer. I think a nice Vortech Ysi or Procharger F1 would pull like a damn train, no lag because of the size of the motor. Whats everybody's thoughts?
Old 11-25-2004, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

TTT, any thoughts?
Old 11-25-2004, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BBC and centrifugal go together great. all you need is a big enough blower D1SC or T-trim and larger) and a blow through carb setup if you run a carb. a YSi or F1 would be simply awesome. no reason you cant run it. and it could make insane power.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
BBC and centrifugal go together great. all you need is a big enough blower D1SC or T-trim and larger) and a blow through carb setup if you run a carb. a YSi or F1 would be simply awesome. no reason you cant run it. and it could make insane power.
I can only imagine what a nicely built 454 with a Vortech z trim or an Procharger f4 could do. But I think something that extreme would only be good for race use FWIW, I remember Carcraft took a 454 crate engine and used the Vortech blow-though set-up and made 780 fwhp on pump gas! I found this article, a and that motor with the right setup went on to make 925 fwhp with only 6.9 psi! Talk about efficiency Here is a good read.

http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild...afr/index.html
Old 11-25-2004, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Friend of mine just finished a 1970 Nova with a 540 and a YSi. on it's 3rd shakedown run,spinning and skating all over the track,ran a 9.48@149 and that was pulling 20* of timing.

So yeah,it'll work good when dialed in.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

It's definitely a good combo, but because of the heavy valvetrain, spinning a big block to the RPM's useful for a centrifugal would be difficult with a hydraulic cam. If you use a solid cam, it's not as much of a concern, but some people don't consider solid cams streetable(not me). I would personally prefer a roots blower on a stroker 454 for a budget big block, but running any boost will usually make more power than NA anyway, so you can do whatever you want. And what does engine size have to do with lag? Turbos might lag, but sc's?
Oh and check the new issue of hot rod for their every trick in the book article(454w/800+hp), as they must have been reading my mind for a while now because they keep testing everything I consider doing to my project. Hehe....

Quick Reply: Blower Thread