Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Heads: which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads: which way to go?

Hi guys. Just purchased a camaro with a 468. Engine has flat top pistons and I wish to maximize my street performance on pump gas. Currently have oval port 98cc heads and dont know if I should go to big valve open chamber heads or grind and put bigger valves in and port the closed chamber ones I have and keep the comp. ratio up. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2005, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

What is your comp.ratio now? And why do you need to keep the CR up?
With a street setup you don't wanna get too high on the CR. Maybe 9.75-1 with cast iron heads and proper ignition and cam timing. On the street i would keep the O-port heads and modify them, under cut + larger valves,multi angle, bowl blend,port match,etc.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

open chamber flows a little better, but it's not that big of an issue.
and just because a combustion chamber is bigger doesn't mean you can't keep the compression up. There are several companies that make pistons for open chamber heads, all the way past what you could ever run on pump gas.
even if you get open chamber heads you are still going to have to have some machine work done to get them flowing right(big valves, etc.-see LT1PWRD's post for rest), so it's whatever you want/can afford.
good luck
Old 01-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

i prefer using the 049 and 781 casting heads and working them over with bigger valves.