Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Help With Carb Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Carb Tuning

I have a 600 cfm edlebrock 4 barrel carb with two fuel adjustment screws, but I have so idea what they do and how to tune them, does anyone have any idea or helpful hints as to how to go about doing this? It's running rich and going through gas like it's cool . Thanks
Old 11-16-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your talking about the 2 screws in the front, I think they are the idle mixture adjustment screws. My dad had one for a while. edlebrock = paper weight. I think clockwise leans the mixture, but I" not positive. Sorry for no help.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:52 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, play with them! Make shure u turn each one the same amount of turns as the other! A easy way is to lean it out, get the highest rpm then turn them 1/2 to full turn back! That should put u pretty close! Clockwise should lean it out! I think! Just try it dont be scared!

lurch
Old 11-17-2005, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Smile Try This Site

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/carb.html

Edelbrock ships manuals with their carbs that tell you how to tune them as well.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

Well, is it running rich or idleing rich?

As these will need two different solutions.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Well it just feels sluggish which would hint that it's running a tad rich. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

your metering rod springs could be too weak. Its been awhile since ive messed with one. But you can tune it by changing the springs according to whatever vaccum reading your getting. If i remember right, a huge cam making little vacuum you want a weaker spring. but a weaker spring with alot of vacuum is going to open your metering rods too easy at lower rpms. causing it to be rich and sluggish.

Im not 100% certain this is your prob.. but just an idea. Your 2 screws in front do nothing except adust the A/F on Idle. Idle only, as soon as you step on it they control nothing, your primary metering system takes over.