Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

305 hop ups

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 305 hop ups

hey guys... SLIGHTLY bt as a whole it is

got an 89 TPI 305....

magnaflow exhuast, K&N filtercharged, ACCEL ignition system, B&M shift kit (and possibly tranny rebuilt at one time and diff. ratio put in...doest feel like stock ratio at all...TOO fast) that is the extent that i see has been done to my car...

well...im going to redo almost EVERYthing

starting on exhuast so it sounds better

hooker 1 5/8" long tube headers

my catalac converter though... i am quite ignorant... whats a good company to go with...and model??

from there i am getting meineke to build a custom 3" exhuast for me... and put either woody wood peckers or glass pax...

then since its gunna sound better and keep me happy for a while...
imana save for heads and cam... and do pulleys too

question though on cam... my engine has a FRESH tune up...last owner SHOWED the receipt to me...

and the engine lobes like it has a bigger cam.... but not incredibly much...... my 1st firebird... it revs kinda semi quick and idles around 1200rpm then drops to about 800 to 700 rpm when its warmed up and sitting there

no funky noises... still runs great and everything

normal for an 89 tpi?? or may i possibly have a mild cam upgrade?? or some other type of problem

anyways... after that im going to put a better intake... and some type of holley TB... not that far yet though

THEN SOMEwhere in between all of that im getting it repainted b/c he black is fading.... and my parents are going to pay for half of it for either my birthday/xmas or early graduation present...

and the deal is that if i make all A's.... ther gunna go outrageous on my grad. present...... so... i've made plans

EDIT

talked ot my dad

he said it MIGHT be a bad MAF sensor going bad... makes sense.... i'll change that out when i go get all my fluids changed and change my thermostat

Last edited by ryane88; 11-17-2005 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

The worst thing u can do is put some dam glasspacks on there! If ur gonna go that route get some bullets, essentially the same thing but the sound and flow alot better!
I would just buy a cheap 3 inch cat and gut the sob out! But thats up to you if ur not gonna gut it i would buy a good name brand one, like magnaflow i hear lots of good stuff about them!
http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/universal/mirror.aspx

lurch
Old 11-17-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

DynoMax cats are supposed to be good to and they flow well enough that you really don't make any gains by gutting them.

If they are gonna go crazy for your grad present and you plan to keep the car stay with the mods you got and buy either a 350 or 383 short block from GM and then just upgrade the runners and manifold base of the TPI and maybe port the throttle body then you'll have som fun.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

we have a 305 in my dads firebird and we run the flowmaster delta 40s with no cat, and EVERYONE compliments it on how wonderful it sounds, just an idea instead of crappy glasspacks...IMO
Old 11-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Teching In

o0o

how is it on emissions though...

my dads a FREAK about it

apparently emissions is hard to pass in IL

i like the sound of glass packs and their cheap

i was thinking...

i like the delta 40's and when u mentioned it.. i have heard them... and they KICK ***!!

but looks like they only come single inlet single outlet

im not sure i have enough ROOM to run two pipes down... so i'd have to have a split after the cat....

i was thinking the same firefighter...or just getting them to buy me a brand new GTo or Firebird and slam on some bolt ons

im gunna consider that and call meineke about it

Last edited by ryane88; 11-17-2005 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 305 hop ups