Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

SBC application rules.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SBC application rules.

Ok. I got a friend with a SBC 350. He is wanting to buy a 400 SBC shortblock and put his heads and intake on it for short term.

Will this work? I think the SBC 400 was a totally different engine and won't work. But if the SBC 400 he is looking at was originally a 350 then it would.

Is this a problem? Also what if its a pontiac 400 Small block? I think I remember them being different as well. Or was the pontiac 400 a big block?

A little help please.

He had a supervictor intake maniford on his SBC 350 now and what appears to be the original iron heads.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, will the water pump and other accessories such as the distributor (HEI) work as well?
Old 03-27-2006, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all sbc accesories will interchange 265-400. he will need to drill steam holes in the 350 heads if he wants them to work on a sbc 400 .the pontiac motors are different than the sbc .
Old 03-27-2006, 11:30 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't interchange balancers and flywheels becuase of the internal/external balance difference from the factory (unless someone has already swapped this and had them balanced). Also that Super Victor intake on original iron heads might bolt up, but it's WAY too big for them! I'd go Edelbrock Performer, Performer RPM or Weiand Stealth for an intake.

Derek
Old 03-28-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Villain281H
You can't interchange balancers and flywheels becuase of the internal/external balance difference from the factory (unless someone has already swapped this and had them balanced). Also that Super Victor intake on original iron heads might bolt up, but it's WAY too big for them! I'd go Edelbrock Performer, Performer RPM or Weiand Stealth for an intake.

Derek
The super victor is on. yeah that intake is huge. He had a nice wiend intake already on the motor but he's one of those go big or go home guys.

I tried to save him 500 bucks but nooooooo.

So now I'm trying to get him to get some heads/cam that will at least use the air from the intake.

Its gonna be a beast if he does it right.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:16 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
The super victor is on. yeah that intake is huge. He had a nice wiend intake already on the motor but he's one of those go big or go home guys.
Yep, been there, seen and heard that.

IMHO, 3 things you can overdue and be okay:

1-fuel system
2-cooling system
3-traction

I'm running what most consider a small cam for my combination, but it's better than running one that's too big and having the car not get out of its own way until 5000 rpm. Good luck with the build-up!

Derek
Old 04-02-2006, 04:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your best bet would be to spend a few bucks and buy a book on how to build the SBC. These can be had for under $20 and will cover just about any questions you will have. They will have good examples of known combinations that work. It's all about the right combination of parts. And yup, that 400 is going to make a ton of torque.

-Dave

Quick Reply: SBC application rules.