Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

painting block

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default painting block

just got all of the machine work done and the next step is painting. i am wanting to paint the block silver. i was wondering what kind of paint to use and what grit sandpaper to use also. is there a clear coat out there that can hold up to the heat that a block puts out??
-Cody Roberts
Old 10-24-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

I just sanded mine down to get a ruff surface with about 180 grit. I used high temp engine paint and high temp clear coat. Looks good I just hope it holds up. But once I get everything on it you won't be able to see much of the BBC inside that small engine compartment. Take your time, tape everything off and good luck.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

I usually clean the block with a wire brush until the metal is really clean and shiny. Wipe it a few times with paint thinner until totally degreased. Then spray on primer and spray paint it with normal acrylic car paint two times. Is really shiny and very durable (and cheap too)

It lasts a lot longer then anything ouf of a can
Old 11-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Painted mine with basecoat/clearcoat urethane...... clean with laquer thinner, then wax/grease remover, then primed with epoxy primer, base, and last clear....... Holds up on the block heads and everything else with no burning or bubbles and looks better than any rattle can paint could!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

The Block Should Be Clean From The Machine Shop, Inside And Out. If They Sprayed It Down With Crc Or A Similar Product It Shouldnt Need To Be Cleaned Or Sanded Or Wire Brushed. If You Do Any Of These Proceedures You Are Looking At Cleaning It Completely All Over Again. Take A Propane Torch And Lightly Go Over The Surfaces You Are Going To Paint. This Will Burn Off Any Residue. You Can Also Wipe It Down With Laquer Thinner. Once That Is Done Tape Everything You Dont Want To Get Paint Residue On. This Means The Entire Block Intake Valley To Oil Pan Surface. If You Want A Smoother Finish Paint It With About 7 To 8 Coates Of A Name Brand Engine Paint And Let It Dry For Atleast A Day In A Good Environment To Avoid Contanimation. After Drying Take The Tape Off And Start Your Assembly.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

i painted the inside and out with por15. i painted it two years ago and hasnt chipped or anything that was my worry when i did inside the valley and the bottom side and the head valley.

Quick Reply: painting block